Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

8 Ways Our Kids Have It So Much Better Than We Did

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this

8 Ways Our Kids Have It So Much Better Than We Did

by Sarah Bernard

When my kids complain about things as kids do -- walking to school, what's for dinner, longish car rides -- I find myself sounding like an exaggerated version of my grandma who really did walk miles to school in the snow and often brought that up when I'd obnoxiously claim some part of my extremely easy morning routine was unfair.

It's a right of passage for one generation to give another the you-have-no-idea-how-good-you-have-it speech. And you know what, it's always true!

Fellow parents of young kids, we're not that old, but isn't it amazing how much nearly every aspect of kid life has improved since we were in the game?

Thinking has evolved. Fabrics are softer. Playgrounds have those squishy cushioned mats. The list goes on, but here are my top 8 (not including iPads):

1. Ice Cream. It was chocolate or vanilla or strawberry. That's it. And you defined yourself by which one you always picked. Ok, except if you lived near a Baskin-Robbins. Now, if a kid can't get Oreo cookies and cream with gummy bears on top they are shocked. Shocked!
  2. Sunscreen. It didn't feel like summer unless we (stupidly) fried ourselves like the Coppertone baby. Sunscreens came in gels that stung your eyes and only went up to 15 SPF, as I recall. Grownups were still basting themselves in baby oil.
  3. Chickenpox. Explaining to kids how there was this 'cold' where you used to get itchy spots all over that would sometimes leave scars does kind of sound like we were living in the Middle Ages.
  4. Cribs. Ours were like mini jail cells on wheels. Pretty much everything was wrong with them. It's amazing we survived.
  5. Car Seats. Didn't exist. Parents would hold us on their laps in the FRONT seat. Remember how much fun it used to be to call the extra seat in the "way back" of the station wagon? Death trap.
  6. Strollers. Like fluffy couches with the suspension of a Porche. I could never understand why I had to wrestle my kids into them. I would have taken all my meals there if that was an option.
  7. Food in general. Kid food used to be gross. We had glop in a jar and way too much bologna. From the get-go babies live the gourmet life now with organic options and those squeezey pouches moms can carry anywhere.
  8. Clothes. Zara kids. Baby Gap. Crewcuts. If only. Things were scratchy and I still don't understand why there were so many overalls which made everyone's life difficult. And shoes! Remember those stiff white "first" shoes that felt like cement blocks? Thank God for baby Converse.

What other ways do your kids have it better than you when you were a kid?

by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstricey
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM
5 moms liked this
Haha @ the station wagon. We would take cardboard in the back and my aunt would drive fast and we would slide around in the wagon area.... Until I went face first into the window and broke my nose. Good times.
JTROX
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mstricey:

Haha @ the station wagon. We would take cardboard in the back and my aunt would drive fast and we would slide around in the wagon area.... Until I went face first into the window and broke my nose. Good times.

The back of the station wagon was the place to be! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM
47 moms liked this
I'll play devil's advocate here. 8 ways we had it better than our kids:

1. No bothersome cell phones where our parents could text us and call relentlessly. We also weren't bothered during normal play by our cell phone ringing. "Um what do you mean I'm up at bat next? I've gotta take this call."

2. No play dates. We were able to play all up and down the street with kids from the neighborhood almost daily in games of kickball, baseball, freeze tag and our parents didn't worry so much and neither did we.

3. We didn't have issues of the Internet crashing, our website freezing, or slow download times all simply because we didn't have so much technology and I thought it was great!

4. We had Madonna, Billy Idol, Michael Jackson, and the awesome 80s movies!

5. We teased our hair, wore tons of jelly bracelets, had sticker books, and wore jordache jeans. Awesome.

6. We got to watch nightmare on elm street, Friday the 13th, and get scared out of our minds at fun "not so planned" sleepovers.

7. There wasn't as much politically correctness, or all this everybody wins stuff. If you offended someone accidentally they learned not everyone feels the same and got over it. And the same went for you. If you won at a game you won! And it felt awesome! If you lost you realized that's part of life-try harder next time-good lesson to learn!

8. We didn't have to pay 4.00 for a gallon of gas and could cruise around Friday night for $5.00.
honey27
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
5 moms liked this
I miss my childhood. Kids nowadays are soo spoiled they can't even makeup games when they don't have the technology we have today and their social skills suck. I'm afraid of what the future holds with them.
Clubpenguin
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Those times were way better
URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on May. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this
I love you!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll play devil's advocate here. 8 ways we had it better than our kids:

1. No bothersome cell phones where our parents could text us and call relentlessly. We also weren't bothered during normal play by our cell phone ringing. "Um what do you mean I'm up at bat next? I've gotta take this call."

2. No play dates. We were able to play all up and down the street with kids from the neighborhood almost daily in games of kickball, baseball, freeze tag and our parents didn't worry so much and neither did we.

3. We didn't have issues of the Internet crashing, our website freezing, or slow download times all simply because we didn't have so much technology and I thought it was great!

4. We had Madonna, Billy Idol, Michael Jackson, and the awesome 80s movies!

5. We teased our hair, wore tons of jelly bracelets, had sticker books, and wore jordache jeans. Awesome.

6. We got to watch nightmare on elm street, Friday the 13th, and get scared out of our minds at fun "not so planned" sleepovers.

7. There wasn't as much politically correctness, or all this everybody wins stuff. If you offended someone accidentally they learned not everyone feels the same and got over it. And the same went for you. If you won at a game you won! And it felt awesome! If you lost you realized that's part of life-try harder next time-good lesson to learn!

8. We didn't have to pay 4.00 for a gallon of gas and could cruise around Friday night for $5.00.
URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on May. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

The 80's were the best!!!
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Well one way my son has it better than i did is he gets to be in every extra thing possible. Between cub scouts, sports, music lessons, camps and so on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
8 moms liked this

One word from 70's child:

PONG

mommawhite08
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)