Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tell me about child harnesses!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

Do they really help teach children to stay close? My son is a very hyper and active child. I've had to chase him around the zoo several times and in the grocery store. I'm not saying it's *too hard* to take him out. I take him out with me all of the time and we do several activities. But somehow nothing seems to work when he starts running crazy through the grocery store. He just thinks it's funny. Would a harness help? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Yes, it would help. I used them in crowded places with mine. Most of the time, they stayed right by me anyway, but not always.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM
It could. The few times I used one my son liked it. I let him pick it out and the thought it was fun to wear his monkey backpack.
mommiedearest22
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

My son had one too lol! It was more than a harness to him LOL 

Quoting smorgan865:

It could. The few times I used one my son liked it. I let him pick it out and the thought it was fun to wear his monkey backpack.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on May. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I used one with my third baby. She was 18 months old when her little brother was born. It was hard to carry a baby, push a cart, and hold her hand. She waws a bolter and could disabppear fast. It helped to keep her close and she loved her puppy backpack. Once she learned to stay close by, we stopped using it. I see it as no different than a stroller. In either case, you are restraining your child to keep them in place. The harness allowed her to walk around (which was good for her) while thr stroller would have kept her strapped down. People that use the harness like they are walking a dog are bad parents regardless of whether or not they use the harness.

pregnancy

Snowl
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I used one with my oldest. He figured out how to take it off and we had to put it on him backwards after that but it helped a lot!

PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My DS is the same way and the harness does help. He loves his "puppy backpack" (it basically is that, it has pockets to hold things and it's shaped like a stuffed dog and the leash part is his tail) and it keeps him safe when we're out and about. He doe that better than strollers because the harness lets him stretch his legs and wander a little, but not take off and run into traffic or anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I guess if that is what you want to do, it could help.

Won't he sit still in a cart or a stroller?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I use one with my 3 year old. I love it and he loves his puppy backpack. Tho I have gotten some weird looks and people telling me its inhumane. The woman who said it was 7 months pregnant with her first I told her she might wanna look into them. She gave me the dirtiest death stare I've ever seen lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

He is almost 3 and very large for his age, so no. We use a wagon at the zoo but he likes to walk too and I've had to chase him several times long distances before he'll stop and "hide" and wait for me to find him. He thinks it's hilarious, but I don't.

Quoting Anonymous:

Firebolt
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Putting a hyper child that is full of energy in a cart or stroller is setting them up for failure, using a harness allows them to expend energy which they need.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN