Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Place of employment - YOU'RE NOT FAIR!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

That is what I was just told. We are retail I am here for 15 hours today.

I scheduled half my staff for 4 hour shifts so that no one has to work long on the holidays.

I just got a call out she's "sick" although she was fine yesterday.

This is her third "sick" for the month of May. I told her I am going to need a doctors note, as per our employee manual informed her when she was hired her. As per the reminder policies hung in the break room.

She said no doctors are open today, so she would have to take a day tomorrow and miss work again.

I said , thanks for letting me know I'll find your coverage for tomorrow too, but she would get a written warning for the 4th missed day in a single month.

She screamed and cried that it wasn't fair that I was making her miss a day tomorrow to get a stupid doctors note, and I am going to write her up for it.

I reminded her of the company policy, I reminded her I did not call her out the previous two days this month, nor am I forcing her to call out today. 

Pretty sure she's not going to make it long here.

Company Policy

More than two days in a single 30 month span ( consecutive or not) require a doctors note, and you will not be permitted to work until you present a doctors note.

I think someone should have planned her call outs a bit better if she didn't want to work memorial day for 4 hours. My heart is really bleeding for her - NOT.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

We are really slow at least so far, so I probably won't even schedule a replacement for her 4 hours anyhow.

But I do need to cover a 7 hour shift tomorrow.

URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on May. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
That sucks. She's a fool
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quoting URHonor:

That sucks. She's a fool

Doubly so her shift is 10-2, she could have come in , did her time and had the rest of the day to party till she drops.

illinoismommy83
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Lol. I could never be a retail manager. I'd end up screaming at the dumbass employees and their lame excuses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

There are 9 people who were not scheduled for today at all.

There aer 8 other employees here or scheduled to be here but only 4 hours.

She has had the schedule since May 1. 

She could have switched with any of the above,or gotten a 4 hour person to work 8 hours today (I know a few would have for the time and a half) if she needed the day off, but SHE chose to do this .

I have no sympathy

PestPatti
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I have a co-worker who will probably call in tomorrow.  She has been camping all weekend, and posting pics on facebook.  She will then cry like a girl because she won't be paid for today.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

People get sick, tired, have sick kids, dogs whatever it happens. That's a good portion of my job is to fix those problems. So i don't stress about it.

I just love when they start blaming ME for their excessive call outs.

She could have also gone to the doctor the previous two call outs this month, gotten a note and THOSE days wouldn't be added to her total.

Seriously , I thought it was very hard to get written up around here - but for some its just a goal they want to reach.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Lol. I could never be a retail manager. I'd end up screaming at the dumbass employees and their lame excuses.

je80ss
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM
She can go to urgent care if shes "sick". Some are open 24 hrs or there is er but thats an expensive note if shes really not sick! I myself work in retail and have worked every holiday since christmas and every weekend including this fri-mon stretch....it sucks i wish they would rotate holidays or something!

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what I was just told. We are retail I am here for 15 hours today.

I scheduled half my staff for 4 hour shifts so that no one has to work long on the holidays.

I just got a call out she's "sick" although she was fine yesterday.

This is her third "sick" for the month of May. I told her I am going to need a doctors note, as per our employee manual informed her when she was hired her. As per the reminder policies hung in the break room.

She said no doctors are open today, so she would have to take a day tomorrow and miss work again.

I said , thanks for letting me know I'll find your coverage for tomorrow too, but she would get a written warning for the 4th missed day in a single month.

She screamed and cried that it wasn't fair that I was making her miss a day tomorrow to get a stupid doctors note, and I am going to write her up for it.

I reminded her of the company policy, I reminded her I did not call her out the previous two days this month, nor am I forcing her to call out today. 

Pretty sure she's not going to make it long here.

Company Policy

More than two days in a single 30 month span ( consecutive or not) require a doctors note, and you will not be permitted to work until you present a doctors note.

I think someone should have planned her call outs a bit better if she didn't want to work memorial day for 4 hours. My heart is really bleeding for her - NOT.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My husbands work is like that, no call outs day before or after a paid holiday off.

They just schedule vacation days. You'd have to be stupid to miss a paid day off.

Quoting PestPatti:

I have a co-worker who will probably call in tomorrow.  She has been camping all weekend, and posting pics on facebook.  She will then cry like a girl because she won't be paid for today.   

GabbyP.
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Oh she happens to be 'sick' on a holiday? No surprise there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured