Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for Muslims - food related

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 22 Replies
My almost 3 year old and I have been vegetarians for 1 1/2 years. However, my son has stopped gaining weight again and I'm at my wits end. He's always hungry, but not gaining. I'm worried he's maybe not getting enough nutrients (like protein) to keep him full and help him gain weight. I know my protein intake is fine, but maybe his isn't. I switched to a vegetarian diet for health reasons (concerns over what was actually in the meat I was serving and not having the money to buy organic) and concerns over how the animals were being treated. I am considering adding back in a meal or two of chicken a week and maybe a meal with red meat every other week. I want to see if this helps my son, and if not I will cut it back out.
I know that Muslims have to eat meat that is halal, and I've heard that the conditions for the animals are better and they aren't fed crap food or given hormones and such. First off, is this true?
There is a Muslim store with halal meat about 5 minutes away from me, and I would like to go. I worry about the little things to consider when I go and how to be respectful. Any tips? Obviously not go in some short shorts and a tank top, but how much covering do I need to do to be respectful? Do I need to cover my hair? Would a hat work? I've also heard that I shouldn't look the men in the eye or touch them (like shaking their hand). Correct? I don't want to be rude or make them uncomfortable. I would be taking my son of course (I'm a single mom), but that's no big deal, right? Is it even ok to go in with not being Muslim?
Any advice or comments on the quality of the halal meat would be great! Thanks. :)
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by Anne on May. 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

good luck bump

RissyLee
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Thanks! I think it will be worth a shot, but not if I'm going to offend everyone in the store.

Quoting crescentstar2:

good luck bump

tardistraveller
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

you don't have to cover up and not look at people in the eye to shop at a muslim store.  I live in a predominantly muslim community and I don't do that mess.  About halal, I'm not sure that I would consider their slaughter methods more humane.  But I'm not completely sure on that.

Val99
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Halal is the same thing as Kosher (as was explained to me by the Muslims in Afghanistan).  Halal doesn't mean it's any better for you than any other meat.  Actually, they hang sides of beef covered in flies out in the hot sun in Afghanistan and it's still Halal, so don't think it's any better than anything you can get at the grocery.

When I was in afghanistan I awoke to hearing "Mooo...Moooo...Gugh!".  They were slaughtering cows behind my house with a chain saw.  I wouldn't call that more humane.  They did hang them and drain the blood so thet were Halal.

I have travelled throughout the middle east and southeast asia in muslim countries and the most I had to do was wear a headscarf and that was rare.  They accept westerners.

Tasloley
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Don't touch any Muslim man's hands. Make sure you ate dressed appropriately and no head cover is needed. Never heard anything about looking them in the eyes. I'm not Muslim, but I have Muslim friends and know this from experience.
RissyLee
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Really? I figured it would be more respectful, especially since I was choosing to enter their store rather than just passing them on the street.
Hopefully someone will be able to answer about how humane it is. I've just heard the animals are treated better (not packed in a processing plant and fed better foods), but I could be wrong. My big concern is how they are raised, what food they're given, and if they're given any kinds of drugs.

Quoting tardistraveller:

you don't have to cover up and not look at people in the eye to shop at a muslim store.  I live in a predominantly muslim community and I don't do that mess.  About halal, I'm not sure that I would consider their slaughter methods more humane.  But I'm not completely sure on that.

RissyLee
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Well that's gross. Not worse than how the animals that end up in the grocery store are treated, but yuck. I thought they had to use a single knife? Hm.

Quoting Val99:

Halal is the same thing as Kosher (as was explained to me by the Muslims in Afghanistan).  Halal doesn't mean it's any better for you than any other meat.  Actually, they hang sides of beef covered in flies out in the hot sun in Afghanistan and it's still Halal, so don't think it's any better than anything you can get at the grocery.

When I was in afghanistan I awoke to hearing "Mooo...Moooo...Gugh!".  They were slaughtering cows behind my house with a chain saw.  I wouldn't call that more humane.  They did hang them and drain the blood so thet were Halal.

I have travelled throughout the middle east and southeast asia in muslim countries and the most I had to do was wear a headscarf and that was rare.  They accept westerners.

RissyLee
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Thanks!

Quoting Tasloley:

Don't touch any Muslim man's hands. Make sure you ate dressed appropriately and no head cover is needed. Never heard anything about looking them in the eyes. I'm not Muslim, but I have Muslim friends and know this from experience.
Noahsmom32825
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I'm a Muslim but I don't wear the hijab. I dress how I wanna dress and no one at the halal store cares!!! I've also never heard about not looking Muslim men in the eye..lol.

As for the meat...it's exactly like kosher. The animals are slaughtered in the name of God then hung upside down for the blood to drain. They might do it outside in 3rd world countries for yhe flies to be all over them but that's obviously not the case in the Western world.
RissyLee
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Thank you! Are the animals fed properly and free from medications? Or is that not important?

Quoting Noahsmom32825:

I'm a Muslim but I don't wear the hijab. I dress how I wanna dress and no one at the halal store cares!!! I've also never heard about not looking Muslim men in the eye..lol.

As for the meat...it's exactly like kosher. The animals are slaughtered in the name of God then hung upside down for the blood to drain. They might do it outside in 3rd world countries for yhe flies to be all over them but that's obviously not the case in the Western world.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)