Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i did not throw out my nephew! stupid SIL vent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 198 Replies
1 mom liked this
My trashy lazy SIL came over yesterday to let my nephew and my DS play. Well they were having a great time playing in the back yard. Getting a little loud but hey they're kids right? Anyway SIL and I are watching them and just sitting at the picnic table. She keeps yelling and treating DN "Sammy calm down? STOP SCREAMING or I'll smack your ass!!" So I remind her that there's no spanking at my house. Its her kid ,I know , but I don't want to see it . I don't spank. I don't want my son to witness it either. I have taught my kids that hitting is wrong and they need to keep their hands to themselves. I know my SIL is a die hard spanker. She will tell you that spanking is the o my way to raise a kid that's not " a damn brat" and all about picking out a switch at her grandmothers and how just fine she is.. whatever , I don't spank and don't want it at my house.

So Sammy got really loud and SIL jumped out if her seat , grabbed his arm and told him he needs to get a spank she then hauled off and hit him like four or five times. I was so angry. I yelled for her to stop. My son was crying. I talked to him and told him its all okay . He doesn't understand and he's afraid Sam is hurt. He asked why would his mommy hurt him . I told SIL she needs to go. She said I'm an asshole and I'm going to raise a rotten pansy ( whatever that means) I don't really care what she thinks but my son was upset and that I care about. Then last night my MIL called . Seems SIL ran home and called her to tell her I threw her and her son out..ugh !!! I did not throw out my nephew! But since he's not my child I couldn't keep him. Now my MIL is upset with me.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthernMamaof1
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
5 moms liked this

I would explain to her that it is your house and your rules.  She has a right to discipline her son how she sees fit, but when she is at your house she will leave if she feels the need for her son to be spanked. If she can't respect that then she doesn't need to come over anymore.

Wickedawesome88
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM
19 moms liked this
I hope your a troll and not just some extremely ignorant women. You need to stop keeping your son in the dark and making your sil out to be some bad guy. Everyone raises their children differently. You need to mind your own business
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

How old are the boys?

VintageWife
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I think she should follow your rules. If you don't allow hitting/spanking/whatever in your house, she could have at least taken him out to the car or something where noone had to witness public punishments.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Exactly. I have been over this with her many times. She always wants to turn it into an argument about how I'm going to raise a brat. Ugh! She hit him last year at my home and I told her if it happens again shell not be welcome at my home. So that's it I'm done with her. I have tried to get along with her but we just aren't going to. Hope I can smooth things with MIL and FIL .

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

I would explain to her that it is your house and your rules.  She has a right to discipline her son how she sees fit, but when she is at your house she will leave if she feels the need for her son to be spanked. If she can't respect that then she doesn't need to come over anymore.

VintageWife
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

BTW, I'm a sometimes spanker (depends on the child and circumstance) so I'm not even coming at this from your pov.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Mind my business ? I don't think so it was MY yard ! And I'm not keeping my son in the dark just because I don't want him to witness his cousin ( who he loves ) get his ass beat. Your reply is ignorant.

Quoting Wickedawesome88:

I hope your a troll and not just some extremely ignorant women. You need to stop keeping your son in the dark and making your sil out to be some bad guy. Everyone raises their children differently. You need to mind your own business
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

This

Quoting Wickedawesome88:

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I personally wouldn't visit at your house any longer. Im not a spanker but i don't like to have people tell me how to discipline my child. Your house or not.

SHE should have grabbed her child and taken him somewhere else once he was becoming to rowdy for her tastes. Because altho I disagree with your "rule" I also feel its important to respect a persons home and rules no matter how ridiculous.

Photo: -Randi.

idunno1234
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

The odds are you will never get through to your sister in law.  There are plenty of similar women on this site who can't acknowledge that its possible or even desirable to successfully raise a child without the use of violence.

That being said, for your nephew's sake, it may be worth your while to approach your SIL, someone you obviously don't like, from a place of empathy and compassion, with the hopes that maybe she will stop being defensive and start seeing the error of her ways.  The only way you will accomplish this is not by yelling (absolutely understandable in your situation btw and I'm sure I would have done the same thing) or judging but by showing understanding.  Easier said than done, I know but if your nephew could benefit from this at all, it would be worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)