Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WTF is so awful about daycare?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I recently made the decision to return to work which means putting my little petunia into daycare from 9am until 5pm Mon-Thurs. Well, you'd think I'd consigned her to the devil or something the way my family is acting, and all because I didn't want to leave her with my mom or sister to care for. Sure, free childcare is great if it's GOOD free childcare, but, uh, no offense to mom and sis, but they ain't it.

WTF is so awful about daycare, anyway?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Replies (651-658):
levansbx
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 AM
This! The daycare we use us the same way. It's a loving, nurturing, and educational environment. Not all are like that.

Quoting mompam:

Just like anything. Some are amazing, some are not. I work at an amazing daycare. Those kids are benefitting so much from it. We do crafts, circle time, etc. The woman who runs it pours her heart into it. My kids went there. Just go with your gut. Don't listen to the haters.
MCE-mommy3
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with putting your child in daycare. Two of mine have been. We had a couple bad ones before we found the great one but great daycares are out there; you just have to do your research on them. The biggest issue with daycares isn't so much the environment because like I said good ones are there it's that if you have more than one child it's next to impossible to afford and you're left practically working to pay for daycare.
Don't let anyone make you feel bad cuz you work and child goes to daycare, the interaction with other children and adults will help them develop.
beans13
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:21 AM
My dd's grade 1 teacher told me this year, she can always tell the daycare kids right awaynat the beginning of the school year. They behave well, are socialized well and generally adapt more easily.

Dd has created wonderful relationships at her dsycare. She is almost 7 and has been going there since she was 3. They are her extended family, they love and care about her. I have made good friends with some of her friends parents. For us, both having to work outside the home, it has been a very positive experience.

She gets a hot lunch everyday because the daycare is attached to her school. I like that she gets that mid day check in. They have called me before to let me know something is going on with dd that the school didn't notice.
icn_mom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:26 AM

daycare is a personal choice. I never sent my dd to daycare, but then again i was a sahm lol. If i had worked, i would have preffered family watch my dd (but they are well equipped to take care of her!) just make the choice that is right for you and that you are comfortable with.

smuscia
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Nothing, some people are just against it.  I went to daycare as a child and I loved it, have wonderful memories of it.  And as long as it is a good one, I see nothing wrong with it. My husband, was raised at home with his mom as a stay at home mom, so he is really against day care.  Luckily, we were in a position that he could stay home with our daughter when she was born and I work full time.  But if we couldn't have done this, I would have put my daughter in day care, despite that my mother in law is available.  She raised her children, is almost 70 and in all honesty, shouldn't be chasing a crazy, rambunctious 19 month old around. 

I think what might be going on with your mom and sister is they probably want to watch your daughter and maybe feel slighted because of you are choosing strangers over them (I could be wrong though!).  You could talk to them but that might make it worse.  Do what you think is best for your family (your husband and children) and don't feel guilty!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 127 on May. 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Sometimes it's necessary to have ur kids in daycare,I've done it off and on with my 3 kids over the years. I've never really had any problems, but things can and will happen. It's good if moms can stay at home,but sometimes you have to work( at least I did), just to get bills paid. My hubby ended up injured on a job,so I worked 2 jobs and had kids in daycare. It's been several years now since I've done it, but if I needed to do it again I would. Also like me I had no family to help( they all lived in another state), so I had to use daycare.
jessifromdenver
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Nothing.
mudwrap
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 6:00 AM
I suspect these happening. My child is very very hungry and thirsty once he gets home. We have only put him in daycare twice a week and he goes berserk at night. He was hitting me on the face tonight and was scared/angry, throwing his toys, crying in his sleep! He's a very happy 1 year old and now this? He was even happy the first time we dropped him off. He is well adjusted and had never been scared. I hope to God nothing bad went wrong there. Either way I'm pulling him out of there. They do have a policy that we still have to pay for two more weeks. Initially during the first week I already wanted to pull him out because I sensed something was off with the caretakers/teachers. Neglectful. Anyway my hubby advised against it but tonight he was very concerned by our son's all of a sudden bizarre behavior.

Quoting wkukid:

You are lied to about a lot of things that go on in most of them. I worked them for years. Kids get put in time out and forgot about, they lie about how much food the kids are given, some of the accidents kids have in their pants is because teachers refuse to take the child back in to pee. The list could go on. And I worked in several over the years, not just one bad one.

eta...they also aren't allowed to tell you the real reason your child got written up, we had to sugar coat it. If we didn't we could be fired.

eta...I'm doing this as I remember things. We also weren't allowed to give your kids affection or special attention becaus "you never know who isn't getting that at home and you don't want them to get used to it". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN