Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dont know how to meet people so DD can have friends

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have a 14 month old DD who has never played with kids her age before. I had a friend who had a baby whos about 4 months older then her...but I moved out of state when DD was 6 months and so they never played together. They just sat there and looked at each other. Now, i'm in Idaho and i've met a few people with babies around the same age (WIC office, dentist office) but both times the parents spoke only spanish and I speak only english and so the kids just played and then left. 

Yesterday we were at the youth ranch (thrift store) and DD was crawling around the bottom of a clothes rack and and another little girl around her age came up and they were playing together and she LOVED it. She was so happy and laughing and cried when i took her away. She kept trying to let go of my hand so she could go play with her. I'm very quiet and shy (in real life...if you know me on here, you know i'm not) and so I can't just randomlly start talking to someone and become instant friends. 

I just want DD to have friends. I take her to the library but they don't offer any story time or anything to attract young kids and so its mostly all elementry age kids.

In twin falls they have a mommy group....but thats a 40 mile drive and they've been doing it forever and so randomlly showing up just seems like it would be extremly uncomfortable. Not willing to put her in daycare.

I've even looked on cafemom for a group of moms in Idaho and theres a few...but none are active anymore. I think the one i checked hadn't been active in a year or two.

How do i go about meeting other parents so DD can have some friends? I think it would help and she would be happy :) Her only playmates are my siblings and they are 8-13 so its not the same.

by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM
That's hard at that age... expecially if she's not in preschool yet. Have you tried mommy and me classes?
Pita369
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I know your saying you don't want daycare but have you looked for a mommys day out group...where once a week you can meet other moms with kids her age and make friends as well?
Annettey19
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Are you in Northern or Southern Idaho? I can sympathize. It's hard to meet people for playdates.
mstricey
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM
What about a park near your house? I'm not very outgoing but usually when we are at the park there is another parent there who is and will strike up a conversation.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM
If you can't find play groups, try going to places like: the local park. Pick a day or two during the week, experiment with different times of day. Mornings are usually the best for littler ones. Get to know the people that frequent those parks. After awhile ask them if they want to get together.

Other cool places like chick fil a or the play area at the local mall have play date potential.

Maybe you can start your own play group once you get to know some more people;)
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

You know, no matter what we suggest, you're going to find a reason why it won't work. I'm not trying to be mean, but you just gave us a list of things you tried, and none of them worked. You are going to have to break out of your shell and just start making friends. SHow up to that mom group despite your feeling uncomfortable.  That's not healthy for either of you. Put an ad somewhere and start your own group. Start a yahoo group in your area. Go to a park regularly, join a gym, join a church, get a hobby. THere are tons of ways to be more social, but none of them will work if you are too shy to make contact.

ArisMom208
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

You know, no matter what we suggest, you're going to find a reason why it won't work. I'm not trying to be mean, but you just gave us a list of things you tried, and none of them worked. You are going to have to break out of your shell and just start making friends. SHow up to that mom group despite your feeling uncomfortable.  That's not healthy for either of you. Put an ad somewhere and start your own group. Start a yahoo group in your area. Go to a park regularly, join a gym, join a church, get a hobby. THere are tons of ways to be more social, but none of them will work if you are too shy to make contact.

No...I'm willing to try. The moms group makes me nervous more because i've looked on their facebook group and alot of them seem like they are older moms and i'm 18. I don't want to show up and have them all talking about me because i'm 18 with a 1 1/2 year old

ArisMom208
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting Annettey19:

Are you in Northern or Southern Idaho? I can sympathize. It's hard to meet people for playdates.

Southern

Annettey19
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I'm in Utah, maybe five hours away. That's too bad it's not the same state. I'm 20 and I have trouble finding mom groups too. They're all older or Mormon women it seems. :(

Quoting ArisMom208:

Quoting Annettey19:

Southern

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)