Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

5 yr old and the potty

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

So my son is about to turn 5, he'll be starting school in August. He's been potty trained a little over a yr now (well at my house he's been wearing underwear and basically completely potty trained for over 1.5 years but his dad's family kept him in pull-ups or diapers for several months longer and he didn't use the potty over there because of that) Well he still refuses to wipe after he poops, now he doesn't even tell me when he goes so I can come help him or anything, but the biggest problem now is he is pooping in his underwear, it doesn't seem to bother him what so ever, he doesn't tell us til we find out about it ourselves, and still doesn't care. I don't know what to do at this point. His dad and I don't get along very well, we talk when we absolutely have to but  he always lies to me about things (i.e. when I stopped giving DS a pacifier he said he was too and a year later I found out he was still giving him it, same with a bottle, etc) he said he is still doing at his house as well, last August he said DS would go hide somewhere and do it, at that time he wasn't doing it at my house at all. I've tried rewards, bribes, charts, time-outs, etc. He has to clean his underwear every time too. 
It seems to happen with me about once a week but as often as 4 times, many times it seems like it happens either the night (before bed) or day after we go out and do something, like last week we went to the zoo  with friends, next day he pooped in his pants, week prior that he was here we went fishing with family it happened that night AND the next day again. 
Anyone else deal with this?? What'd you do? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Start withna trip to the doctor to rule out a medical issue
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I'm dealing with this with my 4yo so...bump for answers
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

His last visit everything was fine, they didn't do testing or anything. His dad doesn't think it's an issue and cancelled when I made an appointment to take ds to talk to the doctor 

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Start withna trip to the doctor to rule out a medical issue

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

It's driving me nuts :/ he tells me he didnt feel like going to the bathroom usually sometimes it's some other random reason like he was  laying in bed 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm dealing with this with my 4yo so...bump for answers

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Bump
AjsMom0508
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Tell him that until he starts using the potty EVERY TIME there will be no more fun outings like the zoo or fishing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I've done that, he went 3 weeks with me without any incidents and the day after we went out it happened again, but it's also not fair to my younger DS for him to miss out on going places cause I don't have someone to sit for DS4 :/

Quoting AjsMom0508:

Tell him that until he starts using the potty EVERY TIME there will be no more fun outings like the zoo or fishing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Oh, and being picked on for it didn't phase him any, (no it's not something I let continue but when it started I didn't hear it)

JanineDeer
by Janine on May. 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Kids should NOT be still in diapers and messing their pants at that age unless something is wrong.

Have him evaluated.   It sounds like a mental issue, probably not physical.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)