Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to homeschool

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 840 Replies
39 moms liked this

Those who think parents should have a college education before they are allowed to homeschool their own children obviously have no clue what it really takes to homeschool in this day and age. We are far from the days where mom taught everything from an encyclopedia. There are so many different ways to homeschool: books, workbooks, websites, online school, co-ops, DVD's, etc.

For instance, my teen used mostly Switched On Schoolhouse as his curriculum and that is mostly computer based. My five year old will be entering 1st grade soon and will be using Time 4 Learning curriculum which is a website with math, reading and social studies.

I teach some non-computer based curriculun as well, but it is not difficult to do at all. Everything I need to know to teach k-12 I learned from [grades] k-12. Not only that, but modern technology helps as well. It just doesn't make sense to pay thousands of dollars for a college degree [to use] to stay home and teach your kids some of the same things you learned in elemntary- high school.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
86 moms liked this

Yeah, I still think you should have a college education to teach. It is required for teachers so it should be required for homeschoolers too.

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
17 moms liked this

I think that it takes is a GOOD curriculum and a dedicated parent; and educated parent is even better. When it gets to highschool math and science; many parents have a hard tme helping their kids. In that case; the parent needs to be willing to invest in a tutor f or their child.

A teacher has to have a degree to teach in a public (and many times private) school. I don't think having a college education can ever hurt a homeschooling parents. Should it be *required*? I'm not comfortable saying yes; but it should be encouraged.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
38 moms liked this
Really? I sure as shit couldn't teach the AP Physics and Calculus I took in high school.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
22 moms liked this

The purpose of college is to teach you how to perform a job, in the case of education, it teaches you how to teach kids, how they learn and stradegies to make sure they are understanding the education. Just because you know something doesn't necessarily mean you are able to teach it to someone else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM
21 moms liked this

Neither can I. But I sure can find a good online curriculum, school or tutor that could!

Quoting SommelierMom:

Really? I sure as shit couldn't teach the AP Physics and Calculus I took in high school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm not convinced it should be required. But It is a damn good idea to be college educated before trying to homeschool your kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM
29 moms liked this

I was raised on Switched on School house and other computer based curriculum. A human teacher is so much better than a computer. If YOU can't homeschool your child without a computer program; you wouldn't be homeschooling.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM
4 moms liked this
"Everything I need to know to teach k-12 I learned from [grades] k-12."

This says otherwise, no?

Quoting Anonymous:

Neither can I. But I sure can find a good online curriculum, school or tutor that could!

Quoting SommelierMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM
11 moms liked this

Online curriculum is not a substitute for a human teacher... if you need a computer... why are you homeschooling in the first place?

If you're going to go to a school... why are you homeschooling in the first place?

If you're going to a tutor; why are you homeschooling in the first place?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

No. I never took physics and calculus.

Quoting SommelierMom:

"Everything I need to know to teach k-12 I learned from [grades] k-12."

This says otherwise, no?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)