Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

lady was rude to my toddler…wwyd?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1126 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son and I needed to take the train today (6 hours) to go see my husband and his sick grandma. He's only 2.5, so I was allowed to have him in my lap. 

He was VERY restless most of the beginning, crying and flailing and trying to get down. The college girl next to us had her iPod in, but seemed pretty unfriendly, as she just smiled tightly and didn't take her headphones out when he calmed down and tried to interact with her.

Eventually, halfway through the trip, she ordered an iced coffee and it was on her tray. I told my son he couldn't have a snack from the cart because I brought things for him, and he started to cry and get very frustrated. As he got worked up, he accidentally knocked her coffee onto her and it spilled.

She jolted up and said "what the f*ck? jesus christ, what a f*cking brat" and glared at my son. I apologized profusely, but she called the attendant over and demanded we be moved. They eventually moved her up to business class and were apologizing. I was so humiliated that I didn't know what to say or do, and I cried after she left. In hindsight, I still don't know if I should have said or done something differently. I get that she was upset, but was cussing at my son and calling him a brat necessary?

What would you have done?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM
44 moms liked this

You should have offered to pay for her dry cleaning or a replacement outfit. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM
37 moms liked this

I would be pissed too if I was her.  I've traveled with more kids than 1 in that age group, and they have never acted like that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

O.o

.ChiMama.
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
102 moms liked this
I would have bought the extra seat from the get go. Six hours is really long time for a toddler to remain on your lap. I have kids and I would have been annoyed myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexiloo714
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Yeah I would have been pissed too. Sorry but I'd have done the same thing.
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
83 moms liked this

So you had an out of control toddler that annoyed her for hours and then knocked her drink into her lap and you are worried about her being rude to your son.......Wow

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
18 moms liked this
2.5 years old is too old to try and restrain a child in the same seat as you to save money. You buy the extra seat for the child as a courtesy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM
18 moms liked this

It wasn't necessary for her to curse, but after listening to a child cry in her ear for hours and then having the coffee she paid for knocked into her lap because he was having a tantrum over a snack, you must understand why she was frustrated and not in a friendly happy mood. I would have just apologized and offered to move if they would let me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Truly, my son doesn't usually either. But he's missed his dad, he's not used to sitting in my lap and our train left at 6am, so I had to wake him up earlier than usual and he was cranky. Not defending him, because he was well behaved for most of it but was not being good at the beginning and when the snack cart came.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would be pissed too if I was her.  I've traveled with more kids than 1 in that age group, and they have never acted like that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM
14 moms liked this

Control your child, problem solved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)