Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Part of their history, or they're too young?

Posted by   + Show Post
I borrowed a Sept. 11 video from the library.It shows actual footage from that awful day.My two youngest are 9(10 next week) and just turned 11.

I know if they see the video, they will want to watch it.Part of me says it's part of their history.But the other part says they're just babies and they can watch it when they're older.

Thoughts?We have talked about 9/11, but they have not seen the footage that this video shows.
by on May. 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Replies (11-18):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
i was just a little older than them when it happened...i think they can handle it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I'd let my kids watch it and answer any questions they had as honestly as I could.    I do not shield my kids from the drama of the world.   I would rather have them know from me than to learn it elsewhere. 

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I'm torn on this one.  I think that if you feel they are mature enough, then you should sit and watch it with them and explain it to them.  It IS a part of their history and it will be taught in schools, so it's something they will be exposed to some time in their youth.

My cousin made her kids watch all the 9/11 specials on tv last year (they were 5 and 6 and we are all from NY) and I was appalled.  Why?  Because even though DH and I firmly believe that it is something that you should address, she did is irresponsibly.  She was on FB constantly updating how the girls are bawling and are incredibly upset watching all the 9/11 specials and stuff and would have nightmares.  Seriously - at that point in time, knowing her kids are sensitive, there was no need to have them watch any of it.  It wasn't appropriate for them.  I'm just saying that you should also be careful and take into account how they may react and internalize what they are watching.

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM

They're not babies! Why would you try to shelter them from an actual event?  My oldest was 10 when it happened and he watched all the coverage with me. on the 10th anniversary, mine were around that age when all the specials were airing. We watched every one of them. They need to know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

You know your children the best.  DS is 4 and we did not let him watch the reports from the Boston Marathon because he could not grasp the context of what was happening.  I would compare showing them/telling them like telling them about the Holocaust and showing them pictures of the dead bodies.

dtm1491
by on May. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I watched a video with my dd10 and bf's son 8 and explained it the best that I could. I am glad that I did because we are from Boston and with the Marathon Bombings there was really no way around explaining that.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

DS is 2 days shy of being 7 and he's seen bits of footage. It's history.

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Imo...they should have already seen some footage by 4-5th grade.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)