Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism/ADHD as an adult.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

I don't want to sound rude or anything, I just want to ask at what age where you diagnosed? Can you be diagnosed as an adult? Should I get diagnosed at 30yo, or just leave it alone?  

My whole life I felt like there was something wrong with me, but my parents always said that I'm just too shy and lazy. Now, as I get older i find some things about me (like I can't look people in their eyes when I talk to them; it is hard for me to even talk to people at all; or I have to tauche something # of times if I don't, I'll be very frustrated/ i cant focus on things i do at times) that make me think that there is something wrong with me. I wanted to get good grades at school, but could not. I tried so hard, but could not concentrate at one subject. Sometime I would read one page 4-5 times, because my mind whould go somewhere else. 

It is very hard for me to make friends, and when I do I don't feel comfortable to be around people. I like to have people around me, but be bymyself(if it makes sense?). 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommytorn
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
ADHD/ADD as an adult and as a child are very different and you can be diagnosed with ADHD/ADD as an adult (you have to be if you are over 18 and seeking treatment that insurance will pay for) I was diagnosed with adult ADD at 19
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Thanks. Is it a long process to be diagnosed?

Quoting Mommytorn:

ADHD/ADD as an adult and as a child are very different and you can be diagnosed with ADHD/ADD as an adult (you have to be if you are over 18 and seeking treatment that insurance will pay for) I was diagnosed with adult ADD at 19

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM

It doesn't sound like ADHD at all to me. I was diagnosed in 1975. My kids all have either ADD or ADHD and a lot of my family has it as well. I have never been able to keep still for more than a few minutes. I must constantly be moving a foot or a hand or something or else I feel extremely uncomfortable. It's been said that I even fidget in my sleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM
bump. I wanna know too
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Do you have a similar problem?

Quoting Anonymous:

bump. I wanna know too

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM
yup. I have to jump.tasks, I cant stay on anyone thing for very long or i get bored with it. I have trouble forming relationships etc. my bf hates that I have never looked him in the eyes even during sex. I look at everyones left shoulder.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

bump. I wanna know too

Batmansmamma
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD in the early 90s. The school thing sounds like it. 100% sure Im autistic and have an appt in June to get testes. The other stuff sounds like ASD. I have what you listed and other things. I do a lot of stimming.
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I believe you can. I have no experience with diagnosing an adult. My son was 5 when he was officially diganosed with ADHD. My mom is in her mid-50's & swears up & down she has it. lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Sound familiar. I usually close my eyes, and it is not out of pleasure:-). 

Quoting Anonymous:

yup. I have to jump.tasks, I cant stay on anyone thing for very long or i get bored with it. I have trouble forming relationships etc. my bf hates that I have never looked him in the eyes even during sex. I look at everyones left shoulder.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

bump. I wanna know too

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 12:43 AM
yup. me too. or I burrow into bhis chest.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sound familiar. I usually close my eyes, and it is not out of pleasure:-). 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

bump. I wanna know too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)