Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freakin bad luck!

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM
  • 17 Replies
On top of everything else going shitty right now, I think our fridge is going out and we just bought groceries tonight! I'm gonna post a pic from my homeowners insurance manual and can someone please tell me if it means that they cover losses (like food that spoils) if my refrigerator malfunctions? Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allabout11708
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM
To small to see.
LiesLiesLies
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM
As an insurance agent I can tell you that it only covers due to power loss. (Off premises power failure)

Not mechanical issues.

You can try on the off chance your policy has some super special coverage....but...
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on May. 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Hon, that is way too small to read.

CuriousArentYa
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM

What is your deductible?

allabout11708
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Yeah the way it is worded confuses me so I guess I will have to call my agent in the morning. Thanks.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

As an insurance agent I can tell you that it only covers due to power loss. (Off premises power failure)

Not mechanical issues.

You can try on the off chance your policy has some super special coverage....but...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allabout11708
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM
$500

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

What is your deductible?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allabout11708
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I know. I was hoping someone on a computer could read it. I can read it fine on my phone lol

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Hon, that is way too small to read.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wymama610
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM
You bought more than $500 of food that needs to be refrigerated?

Quoting allabout11708:

$500

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

What is your deductible?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DropZoneMom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Homeowners generally does NOT cover appliances (or their contents).   What is wrong with your fridge??   Last week, ours seemed like it was getting warmer & warmer.   I finally called a repair guy (expecting bad news & a big bill!)    Over the phone, he asked me if the freezer was still cold (it was) and if the compressor was still working (yes to that, too).    Apparently, the coils are only on the freezer side -- and NOT on the fridge side -- and the cold air from the freezer is blown by a fan into the fridge to keep it cool (who knew??)

So he had me find the vent between the fridge & freezer (in our side-by-side, it was on the left wall of the top shelf.  Looks like a little heating grate).    Sure enough, when I found it, there was a can of grated cheese actually FROZEN to the little grate -- BLOCKING it!!!!   I pulled it off -- and the cold air started coming through again.   Within an hour, the fridge was back to the temp it was supposed to be -- PROBLEM SOLVED!!!   :)    And, in addition to the vent at the top, there is also a return-air vent at the bottom (sometimes hidden by the crisper drawer) -- also on the wall between the fridge & freezer.   He told me to be sure there was nothing ever stuck to that, either.

Hoping your issue is as simple as ours was (I told the technician to bill me SOMETHING -- since he could have come to fix it & charged us $200 but didn't -- and he told me to just send him a Christmas card!  :)    Hopefully someone else will be able to save themselves some heartache -- and money -- from my experience.   :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)