Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Racks Up $54,000 Bar Tab on Dad's Credit Card: Who Should Pay the Bill?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 121 Replies
1 mom liked this

Teen Racks Up $54,000 Bar Tab on Dad's Credit Card: Who Should Pay the Bill?

by Lindsay Mannering

champagne bottleIt's not unheard of for a teenager to surreptitiously take mom or dad's credit card out for a spin, but this 16-year-old in Japan didn't take his parents' Amex to buy a cool shirt or purchase some movie tickets ... he took it to rack up an impressive, if not totally baffling, nightclub bill in the capital city of Kyoto. The teen's $54K bar tab included bottles of wine that were around $3,700 a pop.

So -- who has to pay up?

A Japanese court ruled last week that American Express and the nightclubs are responsible for the teen's bill, which was tallied back in 2010.

(I'd guess it's because an establishment assumes the risk when they don't ask for I.D. with each credit card purchase, or because the card was technically stolen by the son, but I'm not sure.)

Regardless, it's still a little surprising that this teen was able to get away with such a brazen disregard for rules and money. First of all, HOW he was able to spend that much in one night is stupefying (and if you're thinking it's because he paid for sex, there was no evidence of that), and second of all, the fact that he got off scot-free in the eyes of the law is equally mesmerizing.

Either this kid is part of the Hangover franchise, or he's the luckiest little bastard in the whole world.

The family was only forced to pay about $7,800 of the $54,000 and if this were my kid, he'd have to contribute every cent of that $7K, and then some. Since the court can't/hasn't punished him, it's on his parents to teach him a lesson and attempt to instill in their teen the value of a dollar.

Otherwise, this kid will have made it rain all over Japan before his 21st. Poppin' bottles like a G6, indeed.

Who do you think should have to cover the bill?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBridges19
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Please tell me you're kidding?  I mean... I could see the not asking for ID, however, both companies have to just eat it?  That's unfair.  At least make him pay back half of it.

Mistygirl
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM
4 moms liked this

The company serving to a minor and the teenager who racked up the bills, how disrespectful to his parents. 

Lottie925
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM
19 moms liked this
The nightclub is so responsible. A 16 year old ordering 54k and not checking dis or calling Amex. Amex should have also red flagged and required a call in verification.
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM
8 moms liked this

That kid should be responsible.  Jail time, probation, SOMETHING to make the little shit realize that money doesn't grow on trees.  If that was my child I'd be beating some ass, and we don't spank. 

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM
7 moms liked this
I'd take my kids back to the manager of the nightclub and tell him that my son just volunteered to clean up every morning that summer.
MrsBridges19
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this

What's even more confusing is that the legal drinking age in Japan looks to be 20.  HOW did he order all of this?  I think the club should be in trouble for serving an under-aged drinker.  Also, the teen should be charged with under-aged drinking, or whatever they have there.

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM

A big tab like that should have prompted an ID check.  While I think the kid should have to pay restitution (but, that usually falls to the parent), I understand why the nightclub was told to pay up.  I'm not sure why AmEx is also responsible for the bill.  

jb0520
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM
This

Quoting Mistygirl:

The company serving to a minor and the teenager who racked up the bills, how disrespectful to his parents. 

AngryBob
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
A child racks up a fifty four thousand dollar tab and no one thinks to check the ID? How on earth would that happen?
There are a few things that can happen. Well, at least in america. I don't know Japanese law. But if the parents want to claim the card was stolen, they can get out of paying it, but if they do, they HAVE to press charges. If they choose not to press charges, they have to eat the cost of their bill. They can have the kid get a job and try to pay them back, but that's up to them. The law has no say in that.
mstricey
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM
It is the responsibility of both the night club and the teen. Underage drinking is a crime so he should be punished accordingly. The nightclub should have checked his I.D especially after he ordered 3,000 bottle of Champaign instead of just letting the tab get bigger. Maybe he was trying to get on that rich kids of instagram crap.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)