Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when you lend money or help someone...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you ask for it back, knowing they had it?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

Do you ask for it back?

While my brother in law was unemployed we helped them as much as we could. We bought their groceries and stuff like that for two months... then he went back to work. He works out of town making good money when he works but it's on and off work. When he left out of town this time he took their only car. So they ended up asking Me to drive his girlfriend where here and her daughter needed to go and that they would pay me back for everything. Their house is way out of the way. So i used over a tank of gas as well as buying her tobacco and and phone card and some more groceries until he got paid. It was not a huge amount of money. Well they have been saying they would pay me back for two months since. And when he is working me makes about 12,000 a month. Since then they have two new vehicles, drinking all the time, huge cookouts, buying all kinds of stuff. Well right now me and dh are hurting. The money they owe would be diaper, wipes, gas and groceries for us for at least two weeks. My dh says i should let it go but i honestly need it this week.

Should i ask for it back? FYI his paycheck tomorrow is almost 5000 dollars. And their bills are less than ours.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
We don't lend anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Never loan money and expect it back. I learned the hard way.
GabbyP.
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

This is none of my business but what does he do for a living making that in ONE check?? Anyhow, YES ask for help! Or have your husband ask for help since that is his brother.

RoxStetz
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I would absolutely ask for it.  

Val99
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I never "loan" money to anyone, even if they ask for a loan.  I tell them it's a loan, but I'm really just giving it to them.  If I get it back I am happy and surprised.  If I don't get it back there are no hard feelings.

If you feel it's worth it, ask for it back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM
He works on the pipe line how they build roads in all these crazy places. Many dh won't ask for help and says i shouldn't ask for the money back. But honestly if i had the money they owed me i wouldn't need the help lol
BrainFarts
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I don't help financially and expect it back.... If I want to help, I help....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I would not ask for it back if it were not necessary. I don't borrow money and usually don't lend it. But I'm the kind of person if i had to borrow from someone, i consider it a debt until its paid back. But i feel awkward bc dh is telling me to let it go. I'm just thinking they know we have a baby to take care of and our own bills but invited us and like 10 other people over so they would brag about everything they have got.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Sounds like they forgot; I'd remind them...subtley at first.

Snowl
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

If you need it ask for it. When I lend money I don't expect it back; that way if they do pay it back it's a bonus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)