Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ex dh drama

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

My ex husband keeps filling my child's head with the most ridiculous crap.  Latest example is ALL people from his town are nice and most people from my town are bad/scary/up to no good.  If I lived in a bad area, I could understand, but the crime rate in his area is astronomically higher and we live in an upper class retirement community.  Wtf?  Don't say I should talk with him about it because I have.  That just makes the brainwashing worse.  He steps it up a notch every time.  What would you do?  My kid is going to be a laughing stock if he repeats some of the idiotic things his dad says.  Help!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on May. 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I got nothin, here's a bump

kidkrazyinAK
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Depends on the age of the child...show him news reports and crime stats that prove the truth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I already do that.  Another example, he doesn't want my child to wear shorts or flip flops because only "citified" gay men wear shorts and flip flops. 

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

Depends on the age of the child...show him news reports and crime stats that prove the truth.

MrsWallerYea
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

Exactly this.  Maybe he is working him up to being scared to live with you.  All you need to do is take your son out and about in your neighborhood and SHOW him what it's like (nice, relaxing, fun).  This will allow him to generate his own opinion of it.  He will evetually also see that these are lies his father is telling him without you even having to tell him his father is lying to him.  Actions always speak louder than words and if someone told me this is a bad area but i've lived there for a long time and I learned otherwise, i'm going to simply think they have no idea what they are talking about.

MrsWallerYea
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I already do that.  Another example, he doesn't want my child to wear shorts or flip flops because only "citified" gay men wear shorts and flip flops. 

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

and to this...I would let his father know "what you dress him in on your time is up to you and what he wears on my time I am picking out."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

That is my hope.  I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.  I don't want to put his dad down the way he does me, but I can't let some of the ignorance go and pretend that's how the world works.  It's so frustrating. 

Quoting MrsWallerYea:

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

Exactly this.  Maybe he is working him up to being scared to live with you.  All you need to do is take your son out and about in your neighborhood and SHOW him what it's like (nice, relaxing, fun).  This will allow him to generate his own opinion of it.  He will evetually also see that these are lies his father is telling him without you even having to tell him his father is lying to him.  Actions always speak louder than words and if someone told me this is a bad area but i've lived there for a long time and I learned otherwise, i'm going to simply think they have no idea what they are talking about.

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on May. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I would talk to a lawyer to see what I could do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)