Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If Daddy murdered Mommy....*WARNING: Possible trigger*

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 23 Replies

Should a father still be allowed visitation if he murders his child's mother?

Why, or why not?

What if it was vice versa?

*Please be respectful. I should hope that as mothers and adults, we are able to carry on a debate like grownups, without name-calling or put downs. Thank you.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytothree07
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Are they in jail?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If the murdering parent is considered dangerous, then no, visitation should not be allowed.  If the murdering parent had a history of mental illness and is now considered stable and safe, then yes.    Also, if a child is over the age of 10, then I think they can decide if they wish to see the parent.  

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Thats a hard one. I think it depends on the situation. But I do believe that children of a certain age (12ish) should be able to decide for themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
no. just no.
PaintballBtch
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM

For the sake of conversation, yes.

Quoting mommytothree07:

Are they in jail?

weezer_cookie
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM
No. Murderers don't have rights in the eyes of the law. I would imagine they would lose custody.
PaintballBtch
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I would imagine so as well. But what if he didn't have custody but was allowed visitation?

Quoting weezer_cookie:

No. Murderers don't have rights in the eyes of the law. I would imagine they would lose custody.

weezer_cookie
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Do you mean the child goes to the prison to see the father? Just for clarification.

Quoting PaintballBtch:

I would imagine so as well. But what if he didn't have custody but was allowed visitation?

Quoting weezer_cookie:

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM

it would depend on the situation.  how & why did he kill her?  

PaintballBtch
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I am asking because I belong to a forum for family members of murdered loved ones. This question arose, and it was a hard one for me to answer. On one hand, I think he should never be allowed to see that child again. (and vice versa if it was the mother). But, is it fair to the child to lose both his mother and father? A child's love is strong, I think. I don't know. There are many, many what if's, and why's, and how's......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)