Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amish people are not very nice. Ever see the show Breaking Amish?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 114 Replies
My step son and I are hooked on the show "Breaking Amish" and you know what I figured out? These people may live by their own rules but they are very judgmental of others for the way they live. They call us "English" people evil! How evil is shunning and turning your back on your own kids just because they make their own choices and choose not to live the way they were raised?? Basically it is a cult so that they can live their lives free of any kind of government intervention. they treat their women like slaves, the men wouldn't even think of washing dishes or laundering clothes because that is a woman's job, give me a freaking break. They give their children minimal education so that when they do decide to go out to the real world they are so very ill prepared that it would be better to stay Amish or be homeless and jobless with no family support. On the TV show there was even talk about incest and sex with barn animals! I don't know about anyone else but I am glad I am NOT Amish and I don't want to associate with people that think like the Amish either.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on May. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I've heard a lot about that show being fake...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not judge the Amish people by that show. They live their faith even if I disagree with shunning.  However the show is not reality.  It does not show how heart broken the families are and it is like a death to them. Those kids grow up KNOWING the consequences of such choices. They are given freedom to live wild for a while with no consequences but it they choose not to live by the ordainances of their church they are indeed shunned. Yes, it is heart breaking. Those kids go into that knowing full well what faces them. The show is in no way "reality".  While my kids could never do a thing for me to shun them, don't judge what you dont' really know unless you have lived it or walked in it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM
13 moms liked this

You know that show is fake right?

The  real Amish people are the ones who forgave a man who walked into their schoolhouse and killed several of their children.

AmberRose1122
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM
That's a fake show.
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

That show is so fake... just like Amish Mafia.

Don't judge a group by a reality show. Remember that school shooting? They forgave them! Thats how Amish people truly are

liss.n.chris
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
You're basing your opinion off of a TV show? That's frightening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thisisme2013
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Amish have their own faith based beliefs, and purposley shut out and distance themselves from the outside world to continue their way of life in the generations to come. 

Not how I choose to live, but just like us, there are good and bad amish.

weezer_cookie
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Right. It is heavily scripted, just like most "reality" shows.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know that show is fake right?

The  real Amish people are the ones who forgave a man who walked into their schoolhouse and killed several of their children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

It's a reality show... FFS. Those kids are paid to be ridiculous

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG

One of the strongest beliefs that the Amish have is that there will be no "image" of a person.  That means, no photographs, videos, movies etc.  So what makes you think that they would be on TV?

When the schoolhouse shooting took place, did you notice that all the photos of the Amish people only showed their backs?  Did you know that little girls have dolls that don't have faces?

the TV show is FAKE - the life they lead is real, and ummmm it's been that way for a very, very long time.  It works for them, who the hell are you to think you know better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)