Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soap and other recipes

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
Here are some easy soap recipes. I started with a few of these and they make a good, basic soap. As you make more and learn more about the different properties of all the different ingredients you can use, you will find or make some great recipes.

**Easy Homeade Soap
42oz can of shortening
5oz canola or olive oil
5oz coconut oil
17oz of water
7oz lye

I will weigh the water out and put in the freezer in a plastic bowl for soapmaking only. I then weigh the lye and put aside. Do the same for the oils and put into a double boiler made from two pots. Melt on a low heat until melted, removed from heat and let cool to warn to touch. While the oils melt, I will take water and lye outside and ADD LYE TO WATER SLOWLY (always add chemical to water!). There will be fumes! Please read up on this step in detail before you attempt. Always have vinegar on hand though I have never needed it.

Combine oils and lye water with stick blender until trace. Pour into mold, cover and insulate for 24 hours. Unmold, cut and cure.

***Castile Soap
16oz olive oil, not extra virgin
6oz water
2oz lye

***Basic Salve
8oz oils of your choice
2oz wax of your choice, I use beeswax

Melt and whip together until it cools and thickens. Add essential oils and jar. Recycled jars work great! Add herbs or other goodies. Experiment!

***Basic Balm
4oz butters of choice
1-2oz oils of choice
1oz cornstarch for nongreasy, silky feel
2tsp vit e or other antioxidant

Melt and whip until cool, add eo and jar.

These are some basic recipes to get you started. I will try to answer any questions you have and help any way I can. I get my lye from amazon and the other oils can be found at walmart. Sometimes I find lye at hardware stores. I use a platic shoe box with lid for my mold, sprayed with a pam type spray. Any more questions I missed?

I know this is condensed, so please read up on it. I did a lot of research before I made my first batch. It is easy and fun. Don't let the lye scare you.

Have fun and if you have any good recipes, post them. If you have one you want to see, I will see if I have it or others do.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Bump
mama2alex2008
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Do u have any laundry detergent recipes?
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Laundry soap bar
1 can shortening
12oz water
6oz lye

After it cures, it will make a nice detergent.

Detergent
2cups grated soap
2cups borax
2cups washing soda

Add a gallon of water and let the soap sit and liquify or heat on low. You can add sweet orange or other citrus eo to help with liftin' dirt and grease. Bottle in old bottles with room to shake. Give it a good shake and use an 1/8 to 1/4 cup. You could leave in powder form and use a tbsp or two. Follow with vinegar in the rinse.

redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Mobile Photo

redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Glad I wasted my time...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
bump so i can copy them down. Been looking for some good recipies. Thanks
mama2alex2008
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank u for posting these :)
Had3girls
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I make my own liquid laundry soap .... my friends all brag about how well it cleans lol .... VERY easy .... grate a bar of Ivory soap and slowly melt it in a big pot of boiling water ..... after its all dissolved pour into a 5gallon bucket and add couple gallons of hot water then mix in 1cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda (not baking soda) and then fill the rest of the bucket with cold water ..... mix well and let sit for 24hrs ..... mix well before each use and use about 1cup per load ......

I don't personally measure any of it and usually add extra borax ..... it works very well good luck =)

Oh!!!! While dissolving shaved soap in boiling water enjoy making your kitchen smell super clean =)

Quoting mama2alex2008:

Do u have any laundry detergent recipes?

redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)