Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS upset that DD is dating his friend update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

DS is 17 and a junior in high school, DD is 15 and a freshman in the same high school. DS came to me and told me that he just found out that DD is dating DS's friend. His friend came to him and told him he had just asked her out (which I think was the right thing).

DS wants me to tell DD that she can't date him. The rule in our house is you can start dating when you are in high school. I know the boy, he seems like a nice kid so I have no reason to object.

I think DS is just being an overly protective older brother and I see no reason to tell DD she can't date the boy.

I talked to DH about it. He says that DS's problem is most likely, since they are friends, they have talked about things they have done with different girls. Now, after DS knows what this kid has done (experience level) he is dating his sister. It's one thing to deal with the possibility that your sister is doing something with a guy another thing to know the guy has already done it with someone else and probably will with her too.

But we both agree DD should date who she wants as long as there is not a reason to forbid it

Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
4 moms liked this
My brother's friends were off limits. As her friends should be as well. Sibling code.
proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I agree with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. And kudos to his friend for telling him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Both of my kids are very popular, if they weren't allowed to date anyone the other considers a friend, they would have slim pickings lol. I could see best friends being off limits though

Quoting Anonymous:

My brother's friends were off limits. As her friends should be as well. Sibling code.

Christy644
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My sister in law swears the only reason she had friends wanting to hang out with her was because of her brother (my DH) She swears they would come over just to get a chance to talk to him lol

he was oblivious to it all. 

I have a teen son and teen daughter. They have both sworn each others friends off limits. I'm not sure how we all would handle it. 

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

is it possible that he knows something about the friend that you're not privvy to that makes him think it's not such a good idea, or did you just discard it out of hand as he didn't want her dating his friends?

Jessicamarquez
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Lol sibling code so true
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My DD would do well to date DS1's best friend. Nice kid, super inspired to do well in school and they have similar interests. Downside, he's DS's friend. I don't she'd want to date him, and I'm good with that too.

blondie0234
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Their kids...they'll figure it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)