Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should my son get a birthday party at preschool tomorrow?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

my son will be 4 tomorrow. he has been such a spoiled brat lately and keeps getting in trouble for not listening at school and at home. he's gotten all his toys taken away, no tv, no ipad, nothing but sitting in his room looking at his books.

our mistake was giving him back the priveledge to watch a movie once he was good for a few days at school. but now he's back misbehaving.

for example, the other day at preschool he wanted ALL the blocks and when the teacher tried to take 1 away to give to another kid, he cried for 2 hours.

this morning he came in my bed and peed in the bed (he's peed the bed once that i remember back when he was 2 and just potty trained). by the time we got up and got all ready and put all the sheets in the washer he didn't have time to eat breakfast before going to school (like he likes to do, he doesn't like to eat at school), so i packed him some cereal (they have cheerios there, but he won't eat them) to eat when he got to school.

he cried the entire time from when he woke up till we got to school (and even when i left him at school) because he wanted to watch tv while he ate cereal at home.

tomorrow's his bday and i was going to bring cupcakes and goodie bags into his school. but i don't want him to think the behavior is being rewarded.  also i don't want him to act up at school tomorrow.

we had a bday party over the last weekend at my in laws. my mother in law went all out so he had a jumpy, pool, trampoline, scooby doo was there, games, etc...so it's not like he's completely missing out on a bday celebration. at the party there was only 1 other kid his age, and when it came time to do the pinata he had a fit that she had to have a turn too and said "fine, i'm not watching her then", so i'm afraid he'll have that mentality in school too if i give him a party

but then i know i'll feel bad if i don't do anything...i dunno what to do tho!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I'd simply send in goodie bags for the kids to take home. It's being acknowledged without possible disruption.

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM
While I usually don't think parents should take away parties, sometimes it fakes something drastic.
Bethsunshine
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I wouldn't have a party tomorrow at preschool. He already had a party and he shouldn't be rewarded for his bad behavior.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

that's where i'm struggling...i know i'll feel bad either way for not doing it

but this seems like something i might need to do right now. my husband also thinks he shouldn't get a party tomorrow after how he acted today and he doesn't even want to give him a present tomorrow (just a cake and card tomorrow night after we all get home)

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

While I usually don't think parents should take away parties, sometimes it fakes something drastic.

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I would not take away the cake and present. I could not do that. Kids are kids and make mistakes. I think that as a pp said bring the goody bags for kids to take home but no cupcakes. Then be done. Enjoy his birthday night with him.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's where i'm struggling...i know i'll feel bad either way for not doing it

but this seems like something i might need to do right now. my husband also thinks he shouldn't get a party tomorrow after how he acted today and he doesn't even want to give him a present tomorrow (just a cake and card tomorrow night after we all get home)

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

When I taught we never celebrated birthdays in the classroom.

He already had a party. And if you feel like it may be taken as a reward for his bad behavior that's another reason not to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM

they encourage birthday celebrations in the classroom there (every month the kids who bday it is are put on a newsletter) and everyone else so far has had a classroom party.

i just know i'll feel bad...but i suppose that's alot of the reasons he's spoiled anyways. i dunno i'm picturing one of the kids asking him why he isn't having a bday today like everyone else does on their bday and his sad little face...but i gotta remember it's his fault for not behaving

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

When I taught we never celebrated birthdays in the classroom.

He already had a party. And if you feel like it may be taken as a reward for his bad behavior that's another reason not to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)