Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cant keep my sugar up?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 13 Replies

i am hypoglycemic.

i know how to control it and i know the signs of my sugar being low, but i have never not been able to keep my sugar up. this week i cant seem to. now, i always keep a mountain dew with me to drink throughtout the day. not the best, i know, but it works. i have been doing my usual things, usual diet, but my sugar keeps dropping. and fast. after i eat or drink something i'll have maybe 20-30 minutes before it drops again. the other night i was walking to the kitchen and started to black out ( first i lose my hearing, then my eyes black out, and i throw up) that was weird. i have been doing everything right. i have been waking up to immediately being dizzy and nauseas. like, cant get up to pee or i can black out. any ideas whats going on? do i needto up my food / sugar intake to every 20 minutes? i'm scared of the weight gain :(

by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on May. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I'm not sure, besides just snacking all day. but I feel your pain I'm hypoglycemic too
AHmom103
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Are you pregnant? I'm also hypoglycemic, and when I was pregnant last time, I couldn't keep my sugar up at all. I pretty much lived on mountain dew, and I would eat a couple Hershey's kisses when I felt like it was dropping again. Now that I'm not pregnant, I just drink a little mountain dew and a couple pieces of chocolate a day, along with my regular meals, to keep my sugar up.

vindicated
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

nope. cant get pregnant, tubes are tied. lol

Quoting AHmom103:

Are you pregnant? I'm also hypoglycemic, and when I was pregnant last time, I couldn't keep my sugar up at all. I pretty much lived on mountain dew, and I would eat a couple Hershey's kisses when I felt like it was dropping again. Now that I'm not pregnant, I just drink a little mountain dew and a couple pieces of chocolate a day, along with my regular meals, to keep my sugar up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Forget the weight gain - geez.

If you can't get your sugars level you have a lot more to worry about than a few pounds.

What are you eating as a meal?  Are you getting a protein, carb and sugar?

If you are waking up with low blood sugar you need to have a healthy snack with milk before bed.  Protein will carry you through the night better and will last longer.

We can give you some tips, but frankly you need to talk to your dr.

vindicated
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM

oh no, thats the problem, am i eating meals. lots of them. which is why i dont know  why i cant keep my sugar up.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you can't get your sugars level you have a lot more to worry about than a few pounds.

If you are waking up with low blood sugar you need to have a healthy snack with milk before bed.  Protein will carry you through the night better and will last longer.

SpnFulOfSugar
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Have you tried eating a healthy carb and fat together. Fats slow the absorption of carbs and help keep your blood sugar levels at a constant rate. Instead on things like Mountain Dew that spike and then crash.
SpnFulOfSugar
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
What are you eating?

Quoting vindicated:

oh no, thats the problem, am i eating meals. lots of them. which is why i dont know  why i cant keep my sugar up.

Quoting Anonymous:

firespurity
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM
What's a typical days diet for you?
Val99
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You need to go back to your physician and ask for advice.  Maybe even see a registered dietitian.

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on May. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Are you on  any medications?

And try switching the mt dew for OJ.

I carry those awful tasting glucose tablets with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)