Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cafe mom LPNs and RNs i have a question!

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi
Really I guess I just need advice about going about finding a job when your fresh out of school. I graduated in march and just took and passes my boards last week. My liences is active and so far I've applied to two local nursing homes. Right now I work as a unit Secretary on a cardiac unit and my Job doesnt have a LPN posting right now, this could change any day since they post new jobs daily.

I've never worked as a nurse and I'm fresh out of school and nervous!! Any advice?????
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Bump
skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Help?
skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Some one?
opal10161973
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I had a CNA/HHA, so I worked in the field and then was able to just keep working for the same place as an LPN after I got it.  A unit secretary position is not in the same class type as nursing, so it doesn't usually help too much.  There are some places that will use student nurses, so those would be a good place to start.  Can your school help you to find a job?  Almost every school I have seen does help their students with everything from resume's to a job board. 

skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Eh my school isn't the best. The hospital I work for now said they would help me and I have a contract with them, they paid for part of my school and I work for the. For the next year, no big since I've already worked there 3 years And I was a pca for 2 yrs. But right now there is no posting for a LPN.

Quoting opal10161973:

I had a CNA/HHA, so I worked in the field and then was able to just keep working for the same place as an LPN after I got it.  A unit secretary position is not in the same class type as nursing, so it doesn't usually help too much.  There are some places that will use student nurses, so those would be a good place to start.  Can your school help you to find a job?  Almost every school I have seen does help their students with everything from resume's to a job board. 

opal10161973
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Resume's are really important when you are moving up in the clinical realm.  So, putting a list of your qualifications may actually be beneficial for you.  I know that is what my school did for me.  I had a list of all the floors and disciplines I worked on or in and the age groups I worked with.  Since we did everything from OB to Peds, it was important to list all of that.  My first resume after school was two or three pages long, which is unusual now, since it's recommended to list the most important things on one page.  I do have a list of places I have worked for and sometimes I will get a request for that. 

I guess there isn't a whole lot you can do right now, unless you want to work two jobs, since you still owe some time to your current job.  The waiting is the hardest part.  I am switching careers to go into computers and it's hard to get into a new field, even with a degree and certifications or licensing on your resume.

Quoting skyelyns_mommie:

Eh my school isn't the best. The hospital I work for now said they would help me and I have a contract with them, they paid for part of my school and I work for the. For the next year, no big since I've already worked there 3 years And I was a pca for 2 yrs. But right now there is no posting for a LPN.

Quoting opal10161973:

Osstie
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I'm glad I looked at this.. I'm a nursing student. Here's a bump!
skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Good luck!!! When will you be done?

Quoting Osstie:

Osstie
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Still doing prerequisites. It will be a while:)

Quoting skyelyns_mommie:

Quoting Osstie:

skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Ah I remember how fun that was well good luck to yea!

Quoting Osstie:

Still doing prerequisites. It will be a while:)

Quoting skyelyns_mommie:

Quoting Osstie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)