Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well.... Fail! Vent post at school and myself

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just a little irratated with my son's school right now.  Just found out we owe my son's school almost sixty dollars.   Not a huge deal; but the timing is just crap.  We are starting to look at houses to purchases and so the majority of our extra money is in savings and we are NOT touching it for anything except for the house purchase itself and for the subsequent move which is out of state.  There will be funds left over after all is said and done; but for now our extra money has gone into the savings account.    I keep extra out of the savings in case we have unexpected expenses; but this month has had a lot of unexpected expenses that when all added together amounted to around $1,500 so a little low on funds by now. 

I get paid on Friday or Saturday (technically pay day is Sat; but generally weekend pay days it deposits on Friday) when we leave on a trip to go check out the houses where we are moving to move to and shelling out $60 dollars tomorrow is not on my list of things we need that money for and paying it makes things that much tighter IF my pay does not hit until Saturday or maybe even Monday which is always possible if pay roll is called in a little late.

The reason we owe $60 is part fail on my part and part fail on the schools part.  When my son was dropped off in the morning first by the bus, then later in the year by my DH on his way to work they require all the kids to be in the cafeteria where they serve breakfast.   My son would eat breakfast at home; but when he was in the cafeteria he would eat there as well.  After some thought and discussion and we figured might as well let him have breakfast there and stopped him from eating at home and gave him more time to actually get ready for school.  I thought the breakfast was free becuase our area has that program.  Didn't know that it was only free if you qualified for such.   So that is my fail, should have looked into it.  

The fail on the part of the school is their policy is that they will only go up to 5 meals without payment before they send a notice home for you to send in money.  Its on at least 3 papers from the beginning of the year.  They NEVER sent a notice home until NOW!   Had I known $50 ago I would have rectified the situation and either A) had him eat breakfast at home and told him not to eat it at school or B) Paid them in advance and figured it into the expenses for the month. 

There were 181 days of school of which he only eat school lunch 160 days (the other 21 he was either sick or I packed him lunch), and at $2/day that is $320 and I had prepaid $400 for the year.  So I thought we had overpaid for the year, and figured if I got the funds back at the end of the year cool; but if not the school can use those funds for whatever.  Imagine my susprise getting the bill today.   I am going in to pay the bill tomorrow because my son ate the food throughout the year, and I realize that this is my fault for not looking into the breakfast situation more; but seriously irratated the school didn't notify me until now when we owe $60 when it NEVER should have been allowed to get that far negative according to their own rules.   GRRRRRR!

by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Im sorry that sucks I would be mentioning that to the school about how you were never contacted so they dont do it to other people as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Good thing it's only $60, I don't think that will affect your home purchase
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I know it sucks, but if $60 can cause this much drama are you sure you're ready for a home mortgage?  I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, just cautious.  Be sure to find a home that is comfortable price-wise, even try to go under-budget.  There are MANY unexpected expenses to home ownership, and they usually cost a lot more than $60.  Even if you get everything insured, there are things that might not be covered.  Like if an animal finds a way into a wall and dies and you need to hire something to pull it out, or plumbing issues, or little things that you don't want to call insurance for but that still need fixed.

I do get what you're saying about the school.  I'd go there tomorrow and ask to talk to someone.  Then explain face to face that you never got a letter or anything, and set a firm date when you WILL be comfortable paying it.  Acknowledge your mistakes, and ask them for some lenience since mistakes were made on both sides.

sorcha1945
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
It's more the added expense in top of the trip coming up. Things will actually be easier once the purchase is done. We have been putting away between 2k to 3k a month for this purchase on top of normal expenses plus extra for unexpected expenses and entertainment. That and we won't have the immediate need to save so if something comes up we can.dip into savings for it.

Definitely going to tell the.school about their side of the mess up, and pay what we owe. We have the money for the trip, just would like it to not be so right for the first day or two.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know it sucks, but if $60 can cause this much drama are you sure you're ready for a home mortgage?  I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, just cautious.  Be sure to find a home that is comfortable price-wise, even try to go under-budget.  There are MANY unexpected expenses to home ownership, and they usually cost a lot more than $60.  Even if you get everything insured, there are things that might not be covered.  Like if an animal finds a way into a wall and dies and you need to hire something to pull it out, or plumbing issues, or little things that you don't want to call insurance for but that still need fixed.

I do get what you're saying about the school.  I'd go there tomorrow and ask to talk to someone.  Then explain face to face that you never got a letter or anything, and set a firm date when you WILL be comfortable paying it.  Acknowledge your mistakes, and ask them for some lenience since mistakes were made on both sides.

sorcha1945
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM
It's not the purchase, it's the trip. We are driving about 12 hours between Friday and Saturday so that extra sixty would help with the cost of gas and food on the way until my pay hits. We have cash on hand but would rather not use it unless we have to.

Quoting Supervane:

Good thing it's only $60, I don't think that will affect your home purchase
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Best of luck to you.  I would hold a firm line and tell the school when I am comfortable making that payment.  Since they should have notified you months ago, it is their fault and they shouldn't expect you to just plop the money down.  I personally consider anything over $50 as something that needs to be budgeted, but that has a lot to do with DH's spending problem.  LOL  If somebody springs something over $50 on me, I hold a line and pay the following pay period.

Quoting sorcha1945:

It's more the added expense in top of the trip coming up. Things will actually be easier once the purchase is done. We have been putting away between 2k to 3k a month for this purchase on top of normal expenses plus extra for unexpected expenses and entertainment. That and we won't have the immediate need to save so if something comes up we can.dip into savings for it.

Definitely going to tell the.school about their side of the mess up, and pay what we owe. We have the money for the trip, just would like it to not be so right for the first day or two.

Quoting Anonymous:

sorcha1945
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM
If it wasn't the end of school I probably would. Last day is Friday and the school completely shuts down during the summer. It is just the you have to pay right now which pisses me off especially since they could have notified me awhile ago.

Quoting Anonymous:Best of luck to you.  I would hold a firm line and tell the school when I am comfortable making that payment.  Since they should have notified you months ago, it is their fault and they shouldn't expect you to just plop the money down.  I personally consider anything over $50 as something that needs to be budgeted, but that has a lot to do with DH's spending problem.  LOL  If somebody springs something over $50 on me, I hold a line and pay the following pay period.
Quoting sorcha1945:It's more the added expense in top of the trip coming up. Things will actually be easier once the purchase is done. We have been putting away between 2k to 3k a month for this purchase on top of normal expenses plus extra for unexpected expenses and entertainment. That and we won't have the immediate need to save so if something comes up we can.dip into savings for it.

Quoting Anonymous:I know it sucks, but if $60 can cause this much drama are you sure you're ready for a home mortgage?  I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, just cautious.  Be sure to find a home that is comfortable price-wise, even try to go under-budget.  There are MANY unexpected expenses to home ownership, and they usually cost a lot more than $60.  Even if you get everything insured, there are things that might not be covered.  Like if an animal finds a way into a wall and dies and you need to hire something to pull it out, or plumbing issues, or little things that you don't want to call insurance for but that still need fixed.I do get what you're saying about the school.  I'd go there tomorrow and ask to talk to someone.  Then explain face to face that you never got a letter or anything, and set a firm date when you WILL be comfortable paying it.  Acknowledge your mistakes, and ask them for some lenience since mistakes were made on both sides.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)