Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would lack of social welfare make people be more precautious with birth control?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 132 Replies
1 mom liked this

Was reading that post about the sterilization in Australia and got to thinking..... If Medicaid, food stamps, Housing assistance, and cash assistance was not available, do you think people would take more precautions on preventing pregnancies?  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SpiritedWitch
by Emerald Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

They were having 10+ kids long before the invent of the social safety net that we have today. Hubby's grandma was one of 11 kids. My grandma had 9 siblings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

There'd be a lot more dead children I believe 

villagemamma
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I honestly dont think it would make any difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

They were having 10+ kids long before the invent of the social safety net that we have today. Hubby's grandma was one of 11 kids. My grandma had 9 siblings.

Yeah but unlike now Dad actually worked to support them all instead of playing video games all day and letting food stamps supply his dinner.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on May. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
As you see in Africa just because you are poor you will still have many children in poor situations
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol I am on food stamps and my dh works 40+ hours

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Yeah but unlike now Dad actually worked to support them all instead of playing video games all day and letting food stamps supply his dinner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM

No, don't think that would make people take more precautions.  You may find a lot more newborns abandoned immediately after birth - ie. tossed in garbage bins.  Children starving, sick children being left to suffer with no medical attention.  It could be worse.

CharmMom1216
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Hell no. Sex equals kids not welfare. What type of ignorant thought is that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting silverdawn99:

As you see in Africa just because you are poor you will still have many children in poor situations

but the poor born in Africa don't look for handouts. They make due.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

no. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)