Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

some nights, its hard!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

i try to stay up until after DS goes to bed. right now, he's grounded so bedtime is at 8. its going on 10 and he's still up. he'll be up until well past midnight. just how he is. (tried melatonin- doesnt work for him.. any suggestions!? i'm lucky if he gets 5 hours of sleep!)

some nights, when he's unable to go to sleep, i let him come watch TV with me. mainly when i'm watching movies or something. it's bad, i know. right now, i really want to throw a movie on and let him watch it with me- especially since i know he cant sleep as it is... but with him being in trouble, i just cant do it.

sigh. i need a movie buddy at night. =(

Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You gave a child Melatonin? Wtf?
ssocalgirl6
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM
My sister's son takes ADHD meds which make it hard for him to sleep. The doctor told her to give him melatonin. He gave her the dosage.

Quoting Anonymous:

ShesALady
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

My daughter is the same way. Always has been. Bedtime is at 8, but she stays up until 10 most nights. Sometimes later. She's only 7, but has been doing this for a while. She wakes up early too for school. Some people are just programmed different. I am like that. I prefer to stay up a little later and sleep in a little longer. I don't get many chances to do that now. As long as he's functioning and it's not bothering him I wouldn't worry. I let my daughter take a book to bed with her so if she can't sleep she'll read a little. She has a night light in her room.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Anything with a screen is going to keep the brain active.

fairymom82
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I don't think some people here understand melatonin is a natural supplement of something the body makes anyway and isn't a drug like benadryl or sleeping pill like unisom lol. I think its funny.

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

My sister's son takes ADHD meds which make it hard for him to sleep. The doctor told her to give him melatonin. He gave her the dosage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM

yea. at that point, i was desperate. like i said, i'm lucky if i get 5 hours of sleep. i think he was 6 at the time and only getting like 3 hours for almost a week. tried it on a weekend (friday and saturday night), it did NOTHING at all for/to him, so i stopped. it's not my proudest moments, but seriously- 3 hours of sleep!? i dont know how he does it

Quoting Anonymous:

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. She is not drugging the kid.

Quoting fairymom82:

I don't think some people here understand melatonin is a natural supplement of something the body makes anyway and isn't a drug like benadryl or sleeping pill like unisom lol. I think its funny.

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

Quoting Anonymous:

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM
You did nothing wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

yea. at that point, i was desperate. like i said, i'm lucky if i get 5 hours of sleep. i think he was 6 at the time and only getting like 3 hours for almost a week. tried it on a weekend (friday and saturday night), it did NOTHING at all for/to him, so i stopped. it's not my proudest moments, but seriously- 3 hours of sleep!? i dont know how he does it

Quoting Anonymous:

-42-
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Bedtime ritual, and stick to it.

At least 30 minutes before bed, no tv, no video games, etc. Read a book, talk, take a bath, quiet, calm things.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM

mine's also only 7. some days, he's great and you can never tell that he barely got any sleep... other times, crankiness comes in and he's hard to handle. i never know which one will come... the good kid vs the cranky kid. lol i mean, some nights, he doesnt go to bed until after 2am, and he'll be up by 4 or 5. it makes me a little.... cranky myself- which just gives me NO room for HIS crankiness when he's like that... and since he's grounded now, he's been up my butt before and after school. usually, i can tell him to go outside and run off his energy.

Quoting ShesALady:

My daughter is the same way. Always has been. Bedtime is at 8, but she stays up until 10 most nights. Sometimes later. She's only 7, but has been doing this for a while. She wakes up early too for school. Some people are just programmed different. I am like that. I prefer to stay up a little later and sleep in a little longer. I don't get many chances to do that now. As long as he's functioning and it's not bothering him I wouldn't worry. I let my daughter take a book to bed with her so if she can't sleep she'll read a little. She has a night light in her room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)