Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So sad and unnecessary smdh.

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 9 Replies

We had HUGE rain overnight last night, to the point where the river overflowed and submerged a 6 lane highway.

Today some bloke took his dog next to the river for a walk, not an advisable thing to do with Humber River after a normal rain storm, let alone what we got hit with last night.

The guy's dog jumped into the river (leash???) and the guy jumped in after it to rescue it.

The dog turned around and swam back onto shore as soon as the guy was in the river.

The man has not been found.  Police rescue has been searching all day but have given up the search with nightfall.

Sad and I feel bad for his family but I can't help thinking, wth what was he thinking???

Il Fait Ecouter!

by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
anotherhalf
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM

When I lived by the beach in Northern California this happened all the time.  I think the dogs made it back every time but the owners often didn't.  I think people just act on instinct and cannot just stand there while their beloved pet gets swept away.  Now, why they don't have the dog on a leash in the first place is beyond me.  My dh would do that and it would make me so angry.

tardistraveller
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Why anyone would walk a dog along a swollen river is a little beyond me as well, this isn't a happy little creek, it's a big ass I'm going to obliterate your effin highway for a bit, river.

And yea, the dog usually does just paddle in upstream, I think because they are light enough to stay above the undertow.

Quoting anotherhalf:

When I lived by the beach in Northern California this happened all the time.  I think the dogs made it back every time but the owners often didn't.  I think people just act on instinct and cannot just stand there while their beloved pet gets swept away.  Now, why they don't have the dog on a leash in the first place is beyond me.  My dh would do that and it would make me so angry.

Il Fait Ecouter!

tardistraveller
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM

BUMP!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on May. 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Yeah, not smart. *sigh* Here's an article in case anyone's curious: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/29/man_swept_into_humber_river.html

tardistraveller
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM

thanks

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Yeah, not smart. *sigh* Here's an article in case anyone's curious: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/29/man_swept_into_humber_river.html

Il Fait Ecouter!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I don't want to get bashed for this, but I was always brought up that an animal is an animal.  At the end of the day, it's a DOG.  It's not worth your own life to try to rescue an animal when it's going to put your own life in danger.  I would feel very bad for the dog if he hadn't made it, but it's not worth my own life to jump into a dangerous river after a dog.

tardistraveller
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM

yea, that's pretty much how I feel, besides the dogs usually make it.

He should have called 911 for rescue instead of jumping in, they have special cables and such.

Or even better, stay away from flooded rivers.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't want to get bashed for this, but I was always brought up that an animal is an animal.  At the end of the day, it's a DOG.  It's not worth your own life to try to rescue an animal when it's going to put your own life in danger.  I would feel very bad for the dog if he hadn't made it, but it's not worth my own life to jump into a dangerous river after a dog.

Il Fait Ecouter!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on May. 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM

You're welcome. You reminded me I wanted to look for articles about the flooding and I found that first. My parents live right by the highway that flooded. My mom sent me a text this morning saying thanks to the rain she nearly had waterfront property on the Don River. LOL

Quoting tardistraveller:

thanks

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

tardistraveller
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM

lol, the DVP has flooded before, but not usually that bad.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

You're welcome. You reminded me I wanted to look for articles about the flooding and I found that first. My parents live right by the highway that flooded. My mom sent me a text this morning saying thanks to the rain she nearly had waterfront property on the Don River. LOL

Quoting tardistraveller:

thanks

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Il Fait Ecouter!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)