Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transgender Nephew

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

So we just found out that my nephew is transgender tonight. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me about making sure he knows I love him and support him. He is truly one of my favorite people in world and I can't bear the thought of him not feeling accepted and loved. If you have any negative, ignorant comments please refrain. He is a lovely person and his gender identity makes no difference to me. I hope you ladies have some advice:)

Posted by Anonymous on May. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM

If your nephew is a biological male? One big thing would be refering to him/her by the correct pronouns. She instead of him ect

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You are so right anon but he told my husband he is still adjusting and hasn't told everyone in the family yet so to take it slow. He has a new name picked though......

mamaraylene
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You just let him know that you are here for him any way that you can be and that you support him in whatever he decides. I cannot imagine feeling like I was in the wrong body; it must be a horrible feeling.

Jade_Lufercus
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Uh. Hugs and telling him you love him no matter what? Or her, if that's PC.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Just love *her* no matter what. What name did she pick?

Quoting Anonymous:

You are so right anon but he told my husband he is still adjusting and hasn't told everyone in the family yet so to take it slow. He has a new name picked though......

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Continue to treat him how you always have. With love and respect. Stick up for him if someone insults or puts him down.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Write her a letter expressing your love and support during her transition into a female and that now, more than ever, you want them to know how much you care about them and that they can turn to you in times of need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Just treat him normal, that's the best thing u can do
BabyRuca
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Just make sure that it is clear to your nephew that you support his decision & will always be there for him. I think that will be detrimental to this process he is about to undergo. Unfortunately there is a high chance that people will turn their backs on him & he'll need to know who to count on. If he requested that the process begins with a slow start, respect that decision. he knows this is a new and sometimes difficult change so just relay with him that this is new for you too so if you have questions or concerns he won't feel bombarded.
Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM

TAke her shopping! Also, ask her what name she would prefer to go by. Get mani/pedis etc.

Have a fun day like you wold with any other niece :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)