Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help a "Fashion-Handicapped" girl!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM
  • 16 Replies

My mom's wedding is next Sunday! Ah! This is a dress she approved of. It's about 2 inches below my knees. I'm pairing it w pair of black peep-toed wedges. I'm thinking of adding a black belt around my waist (thoughts on that?). My hair is to my waist and I'm clueless on what I should do w it. I was thinking of a cat eye for makeup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Yes on the shoes, no on the belt, is the wedding indoor or outdoor for the hair? Day or night for the makeup?
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on May. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It looks like you don't have much of a waist,it might just be the pic. I'd forget the belt, hem the dress a couple of inches if it has a straight hem. The pic looks like it  might have a different hem. And curl the ends of your hair.

Groove
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM
it's at 2. And indoors. It will be too hot for an outdoor wedding (it's in FL)

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Yes on the shoes, no on the belt, is the wedding indoor or outdoor for the hair? Day or night for the makeup?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I do have one so I guess it's the pic? My waist is 32 inches (I know it's fat) and my hips are 44 inches. I'm a little bigger. :S (about a 12/14)

Quoting wooly:

It looks like you don't have much of a waist,it might just be the pic. I'd forget the belt, hem the dress a couple of inches if it has a straight hem. The pic looks like it  might have a different hem. And curl the ends of your hair.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on May. 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

If you have that much of a difference between your waist and hips then do the belt to accentuate your waistline! BTW, I'm a little bigger too. About your size 5'8" and big bones!

Quoting Groove:

I do have one so I guess it's the pic? My waist is 32 inches (I know it's fat) and my hips are 44 inches. I'm a little bigger. :S (about a 12/14)

Quoting wooly:

jessi2girls
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Belt or even a sash that ties into a small bow in the back definitely!!!  I'd do simple loose curls if you are going to wear it down.. or I would do a simple chignon.. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

OK, after looking at the dress more (glaring lights!) and getting this added info, here is MY opinion:

1.  Tailor the dress.  The natural waist of the dress doesn't sit at YOUR natural waist, and that can be easily fixed to give you a lot of shape without dragging things down with a belt.  The print of the dress doesn't lend itself to a belt, IMO.

2.  Given the time of the wedding, I think cat eye would be OK.  However, for a look that can transition from a day wedding to an evening reception, I say avoid blacks and greys.  Those shades are usually more "night out" and tend to smudge and be quite noticeable when doing so!  Especially in the FL climate.  Go for the look using browns or neutral tones as they will more easily blend with your skin tone if they start to smear or sweat.  Carry some in your purse, and as it gets towards evening touch up your look for the night effect.

3.  Hair is tricky without me seeing it.  I would opt for an updo, though, as it would be "cooler" in the heat.  Also, the neckline trim of your dress and the pattern itself would look "busy" with your hair draped down over it.  You don't want the dress to have to compete with your hair.  If you decide to leave part of your hair down, keep it down your back and off your shoulders and the front.

4.  I would pop some color on your outfit with accessories.  Say a bright blue bracelet, or a red clutch.  Just black and white can border on the dreadful boring.  Avoid a necklace, though, as the trim at the top of the dress is enough in that area.

Quoting Groove:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Skip the belt.  Wear dressier shoes to dress it up.  Strappy heels.  Wear your hair in an up do.  Small sparkly jewelry to dress it up. 

Groove
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Yea my waist is about 1 inch above the waist line. I wonder if I have enough time to get it tailored? I was thinking of half up/half down with the hair... and I agree on the no necklace. It's way too busy to clutter it up w jewelry. I do have brown eyeliner but it really does blend w my skin (olive-ish) and you can't really see it. i wanted to keep the makeup simple bc of the busy-ness of the dress and bc of how humid it gets in FL. I don't even want to wear foundation, just some powder. also, my hair is an auburn type color w red-orange highlights (completely natural and almost a curse). Mainly straight but thick.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

OK, after looking at the dress more (glaring lights!) and getting this added info, here is MY opinion:

1.  Tailor the dress.  The natural waist of the dress doesn't sit at YOUR natural waist, and that can be easily fixed to give you a lot of shape without dragging things down with a belt.  The print of the dress doesn't lend itself to a belt, IMO.

2.  Given the time of the wedding, I think cat eye would be OK.  However, for a look that can transition from a day wedding to an evening reception, I say avoid blacks and greys.  Those shades are usually more "night out" and tend to smudge and be quite noticeable when doing so!  Especially in the FL climate.  Go for the look using browns or neutral tones as they will more easily blend with your skin tone if they start to smear or sweat.  Carry some in your purse, and as it gets towards evening touch up your look for the night effect.

3.  Hair is tricky without me seeing it.  I would opt for an updo, though, as it would be "cooler" in the heat.  Also, the neckline trim of your dress and the pattern itself would look "busy" with your hair draped down over it.  You don't want the dress to have to compete with your hair.  If you decide to leave part of your hair down, keep it down your back and off your shoulders and the front.

4.  I would pop some color on your outfit with accessories.  Say a bright blue bracelet, or a red clutch.  Just black and white can border on the dreadful boring.  Avoid a necklace, though, as the trim at the top of the dress is enough in that area.

Quoting Groove:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Yea I'm 5'7. Even when I weighed 125 and was playing tennis 5 days/week, I wore a size 7. I've always been big boned. I've been losing weight recently but I still have a belly. :S

Quoting wooly:

If you have that much of a difference between your waist and hips then do the belt to accentuate your waistline! BTW, I'm a little bigger too. About your size 5'8" and big bones!

Quoting Groove:

Quoting wooly:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)