Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on a home daycare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My sister sometimes helps out with someone's home daycare that she knows. They have a very tiny baby (under 12 weeks) that they watch. My sister has said she is a little concerned about how they handle this little baby. They tell her not to hold him that much because they don't want him to get clingy or whiny. They put him in a bouncer and prop up a bottle with blankets and then leave the room while he is eating the bottle. 

Just these two things made me very scared for this little baby. He's so little and they are endangering him. 

They also will ask her what is wrong with the baby when he is crying. She is 18 years old, they are above 30. They both have children, she has no kids. They will hold this little baby and he will cry and fuss, they will hand the baby to my sister and he calms down. What do they do when she's not there?

What should she do? She wants to either talk to them about it or she is thinking she should maybe call CPS on them or someone who can do something about it. She also wants to talk to the mom of the baby but doesn't have her information. She started helping out at this daycare about 3 weeks ago and has become more and more concerned. 

He's so tiny, I just don't want anything to happen to him. The bottle and blanket thing really scares me. That is soooo dangerous. My sister is not sure if she should call because she has a relationship with these people and they will know it was her who called since she is the only one who helps out, besides the two "owners"

It's a home daycare, run from inside someone's home. Just to be clear. She is licensed, I think. 

Thanks for any advice!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Wow that's so dangerous with the bottle like that. She should definitely say something I guess I'd try to get in touch with the mom of this little baby first. Unbelievable that someone that has a daycare could do something as stupid as that. Good thing your sister has the sense to do something!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I know!! And then they leave him alone in a room by himself. He could choke, or suffocate. My sister has asked why they do that and they say it's just easier for them. You are watching children, whether it's convienient or not, easy or not, you need to protect that baby and make sure he is getting good care! 

I will tell her to try and get the mom's information. I'm just so nervous to have this baby in their care for even one more day. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow that's so dangerous with the bottle like that. She should definitely say something I guess I'd try to get in touch with the mom of this little baby first. Unbelievable that someone that has a daycare could do something as stupid as that. Good thing your sister has the sense to do something!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I'd tell her to report them honestly.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Pet peeve: I actually hate seeing someone prop a bottle for a baby.  If your baby is young enough that he needs a bottle, cuddle him and hold him!  If he can hold it, he's ready for a sippy cup. 

Arrgh.  But a tiny baby under 4 months old, yeah...she should not be propping and/also leaving.

I doubt that propping a bottle and leaving the child is enough for a CPS call, but someone needs to alert his parents.  That's just wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Wow that woman should not be running a daycare! Hopefully that child will be ok until something is done!

Quoting Anonymous:

I know!! And then they leave him alone in a room by himself. He could choke, or suffocate. My sister has asked why they do that and they say it's just easier for them. You are watching children, whether it's convienient or not, easy or not, you need to protect that baby and make sure he is getting good care! 

I will tell her to try and get the mom's information. I'm just so nervous to have this baby in their care for even one more day. 

Quoting Anonymous:

MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM
If I were your sister I would report them because if something happens to the baby the "owners" might blame her. She can always call anonymously.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Who cares if they find out if it's her reporting them. She can find a new job anywhere!

allornone
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Call the department of licensing for your state and report your concerns.

MommyCrooks
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Mention it to the parents and report...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)