Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foster care

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:06 AM
  • 31 Replies

To some of you this may be  REALLY stupid post/question....but i just read somebody's post about her relative lossing the custody of the kids and that most likely they will go into foster care. Now I've heard a lot of things( good and bad) but just bits and peaces....so this is what I would like to know....what is SO BAD about foster care?. How does it really work? If I wanted to be a foster parent what does it take? I'd like to hear some of your experiences....

by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yorkiemomma77
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Dh and I are taking foster parenting classes. I don't know about the other states, but here in KY you have to be certified to be a foster parent. The classes are called PS-MAPP.
MommyOK
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM

is there a time frame that you are allowed to foster care for a child?

Quoting yorkiemomma77:

Dh and I are taking foster parenting classes. I don't know about the other states, but here in KY you have to be certified to be a foster parent. The classes are called PS-MAPP.

Cbreland07
by CranioMama on May. 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM
My niece was In foster care.. The judge denied us getting her claiming she would be better in foster care. She was physically abused in the first home. Sexually abused by a 12 yr girl in the second home, as well as bullied. She had a sleeping bag the older kids took from her so she had to just sleep on the ground. The foster couple had a total if 12 kids in a tiny 3 br apartment. The foster system needs a serious over haul
yorkiemomma77
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM
To be honest, I don't know. I know that the class itself takes 10 meetings, and they do background checks, credit checks, and a "home study."

Quoting MommyOK:

is there a time frame that you are allowed to foster care for a child?

Quoting yorkiemomma77:

wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM

One of the foster homes I ended up in, the guy was nasty. They lost their ability to foster when it was discovered he let young girls run around in underwear because he liked to watch it. The wife allowed it. I think he ended up in jail.

MommyOK
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:16 AM

no kidding.....I always thought there were some kind of requirements ....these don't seems like normal conditions

Quoting Cbreland07:

My niece was In foster care.. The judge denied us getting her claiming she would be better in foster care. She was physically abused in the first home. Sexually abused by a 12 yr girl in the second home, as well as bullied. She had a sleeping bag the older kids took from her so she had to just sleep on the ground. The foster couple had a total if 12 kids in a tiny 3 br apartment. The foster system needs a serious over haul

MommyOK
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM

oh god.....sorry you had to go through this

Quoting wkukid:

One of the foster homes I ended up in, the guy was nasty. They lost their ability to foster when it was discovered he let young girls run around in underwear because he liked to watch it. The wife allowed it. I think he ended up in jail.

paganmommy4
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Being a foster parent: Background check, Home certification, CPS check for abuse and neglect in your past

Most foster parents care about the money and abuse the kids anyways, most kids get abused, neglected, starved and killed in foster care because theres not enough homes and too  many kids needing homes

When a child is placed at CPS, someone is called to see if they have room for the child

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM

The bad thing about foster care is that sometimes the children are not cared for, they are abused, raped, molested, beaten, etc.Here are the guidelines to becoming a foster parent in my county (every county is different) -- Copied and pasted directly from site...

To Be a Foster and Adoptive Parent:

bullet

You only have to be 21 years old to become a licensed foster parent.

bullet

You only have to be 18 years old to be approved for adoption.

bullet

You do NOT have to be married to become a licensed foster parent.

bullet

If you once were married, you do have to be legally divorced or separated.

bullet

You don’t have to be rich but you do need to show a steady and stable source of income.

bullet

You do not have to own your own home but if you do rent, you must have the approval of your Landlord to foster children.

bullet

Your home must be able to pass an Inspection performed by the local Fire Marshall.

bullet

All adult household members will need to complete a criminal background check but NOT all crimes will disqualify you from becoming a licensed foster parent.

bullet

While we do need Foster Parents for all children, you can specify the age, race, gender and number of children you are willing to care for.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM

It's ok, I wasn't young enough, but I did think it was weird that the six year old girl that lived there was always in her underwear. We slept 4 girls to a full sized bed too. It was awkward. 

Quoting MommyOK:

oh god.....sorry you had to go through this

Quoting wkukid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)