Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welfare for the dead?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:53 AM
  • 12 Replies

How do they not know these people are dead?This is a local story here in Mass.When you die,doesn't social security update that information so if any benefits that were active would stop?I thought all that info was connected in the state's computer system between agencies?I wonder if this is a nationwide problem as well...crazy.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hampden/attorney-generals-office-investigating-welfare-fraud?ref=scroller&categoryId=10011&status=true

by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this
You would think people would do the honest thing and report it. But oh no that's way to much to ask!
Keara20
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:01 AM
My grandpa died last sept and my grandma had to call social security to tell them he died to stop payments.
Icial
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I dont understand that.What is the purpose of death certificates and other record keeping then?

Quoting Keara20:

My grandpa died last sept and my grandma had to call social security to tell them he died to stop payments.

BluePandaDreams
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM
The family has to contact social security with the death information. If they aren't notified the decedent's file stays open.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
It's not automatic. It requires the next if kin to notify social security.
TheDoctorsWife
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM
The funeral director has a form they send to SS. I always tell my families that if a deposit is made, to call SS.

And SS isn't welfare.
Icial
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

By mentioning SS,I meant aren't they the ones in charge of paying out death benefits and other things when a person dies,I didnt mean a person receiving  SSI/SSD. I would think if they can tell where you work at any given time by looking up your SS,why not when your dead?I dont think I am making sense,Im tired.

Quoting TheDoctorsWife:

The funeral director has a form they send to SS. I always tell my families that if a deposit is made, to call SS.

And SS isn't welfare.

adhaodd1child
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Its not, its up to the family members to report to each of them of the death and provide proof of the death. Some families don't know or forget about it and then the following month see all the benefits rolling in and keep it going regardless of have wrong it is.

Icial
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Ah gotcha. thanks.

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

Death certs are issued at the local level. Social security is federal level. The notification of death is part of the tying up of lose ends the family has to take care of and that includes returning monies that come in after the death

Quoting Icial:

I dont understand that.What is the purpose of death certificates and other record keeping then?

Quoting Keara20:

TheDoctorsWife
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Lol. You would think once they receive notification that it would be it

Quoting Icial:

By mentioning SS,I meant aren't they the ones in charge of paying out death benefits and other things when a person dies,I didnt mean a person receiving  SSI/SSD. I would think if they can tell where you work at any given time by looking up your SS,why not when your dead?I dont think I am making sense,Im tired.

Quoting TheDoctorsWife:

And SS isn't welfare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)