Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wwyd? (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:02 AM
  • 53 Replies

What if your tween (11) came to you and said he wanted to be a marine? He has been saying this for over 2 years now :)

Obviously I support him 100% I would never make him feel bad or tell him it is a bad decision. Yes I know he is 11, but I honestly don't think he will change his mind :)

So wwyd? Or say to your child? Any programs to recommend?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IUND
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Does his school have a junior ROTC? Maybe call the recruiting office and ask for ideas? If he does ROTC they might pay for college.
momaof8
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I would  discourage it. encourage him to go into law enforcement or at the very least the coast guard. Too many boys come home in boxes. I love my boys more than that.

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Cops die too.

Quoting momaof8:

I would  discourage it. encourage him to go into law enforcement or at the very least the coast guard. Too many boys come home in boxes. I love my boys more than that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WandaSue
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 AM

The HS here does, he already knows he wants to do that :) Thanks for the ideas!

Quoting IUND:

Does his school have a junior ROTC? Maybe call the recruiting office and ask for ideas? If he does ROTC they might pay for college.

klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
have you looked into the young marine program. i am not sure of the age requirement but you could call your local recruiter and ask them. i would be supportive if it was my ds.
sheena696
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

My own 11 year old son says the same thing about the army and like your son, has said it for a while now. I'm honest with my son. I do not like the idea of him in the military and I encourage his other interests. Eventually his godfather, who is ex-army, plans on talking to him about it. None of us want him to join. Obviously if he does, I will support him 100%, but until that I will be encouraging other things. 

BrownEyedGirl86
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I would tell him that its an admirable choice. He has hears to think about it but come 18 if that is what he wanted to do then his dad and I would be behind him 100%.

I'd be nervous but damn proud.

I won't discourage my children from doing anything like my parents did to me
WandaSue
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I love my boys more than that as well, however I would never tell him not to follow his heart. Last time I checked cops, firemen, even Coast Guards have died as well.

Quoting momaof8:

WandaSue
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I completely agree!

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

I would tell him that its an admirable choice. He has hears to think about it but come 18 if that is what he wanted to do then his dad and I would be behind him 100%.

I'd be nervous but damn proud.

I won't discourage my children from doing anything like my parents did to me

momaof8
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:14 AM

cops get to choose where and when they risk their lives. Soldiers get sent and can't quit or say no when they realize isnt as  awesome when your the guy losing limbs and not the avatar on the video game. Cops don't usually get maimed by  enemy devices and lose limbs.

Quoting Miller0305:

Cops die too.

Quoting momaof8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)