Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Happy Birthday to me...I'm filing for divorce today

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:08 AM
  • 12 Replies

So, today is my birthday, and what am I going to do? Spend it at my local do it yourself law center filling out divorce and TRO papers. I've said I was going to one the kids were almost done with high school yet now I have the opportunity with (exdh?) in jail with 2 felony charges plus I have an emergency protective order from him for me and the kids.

The kids have had such a nice time without him here no screaming and name calling and the friends that have called or come by admitting that they knew we were all stuck with his issues.We had a family counseling session yesterday and she said the kids actually seem relieved. Not that they don't love their Dad, I know, but they struggle with the chaos of his addiction and subsequent behaviors.

There should be the initial court hearing today and i wonder what will go on, I suppose I will need to call the jail and see if he was let go or they keep him in longer? All the while I sit at home worrying about the CPS BS  that is coming my way. UGH!! I did the right things, took the right steps, protected my children!!

Thanks for listening! And just so you know I have tried to leave before but court would give him the kids half time and It was safer that that didn't happen so I stayed for the kids to grow up more. yes, even in the addiction environment and NO, the courts would not drug test him before charges were brought, now they've been brought!!

by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2girlsYES
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Hope it all works out!

Happy Birhday :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 AM
My aunt just did the exact same. Her husband (not my actual uncle) is in jail and on her birthday, that was her present to herself.

Wishing you the best of luck!
BREN_da
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Good luck & Happy Birthday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Crud, are we related?? LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

My aunt just did the exact same. Her husband (not my actual uncle) is in jail and on her birthday, that was her present to herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Lol almost seemed like it! I was reading your post and thinking "did she make an account and not tell me??" I swore it could have been my aunt making this post lol

Quoting mom2priceboys:

Crud, are we related?? LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Do what's best for you and your family.
aprilmom73
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Best of luck to you. And Happy Birthday!

MooreBoysMama
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Happy Birthday. Your gift today is taking back your life & protecting your children. Best of luck to you.
briellesmomma
by Velvet on May. 31, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Happy Birthday! Good luck with everything!

idunno1234
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Living with an addict is the very definition of chaos, I know.  On 5/22 last week, after 2 1/2 really, really long sucky years of going through a divorce and having it drain me of every penny, I am now finally officially divorced.  It was worth all the angst and although it financially devastated me, it was worth every penny.  I would have been married 30 years next month.  The first 17 or so were fine.  The last 13 were spent in an addict fueled hell.

I wasn't sure how I was going to react when it was finally final.  I ended up grinning the entire time in the courthouse (even the judge was grinning at me and she made a point of addressing me by my maiden name, first time in 30 years!)and grinning ear to ear the whole way home.  Its sad of course, but what a relief!

It sucks, I grew up with this man but I matured, he regressed and the kids suffered as a result. 

Make sure random drug testing is part of the final agreement if he is interested in having any kind of visitation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN