Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Real About It...kinda a pic post

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this
So, I've been thinking. I've been super concerned about my body as long as I can remember. Not thin enough, not pretty enough. Not enough this, not enough that. It's always something. Anyhow now that summer is here again and it's time to be out on the boat at the lake or at the pool or wearing shorts at home for that matter, I'm once again anxiety stricken about bearing any skin. Lol. I love winter and jeans and sweatshirts! But my concern this year with much self reflection is, what message I'm sending my girls. They are ten and four. Don't they need to see their primary female role model as confident and secure? Not someone who is uncomfortable in their own skin but a mom who is confident and doesn't shrink at the thought of wearing a bathing suit in public. Lol. Ill never again wear a bikini or short shorts but this year ill be making an effort not to hide. What are your thoughts on this? I'm posting pics in replies so you can see what I look like and not going anon because this is about getting real. About no longer hiding. Post your own pics with your comments/thoughts on this subject. Just wondering how other moms feel about this subject in a society where our girls grow up with such emphasis on perfection and physical beauty.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kool_Aide
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Bump

mistknidentity
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm trying to post pics but I'm mobile lol so....let me figure this gadget out!
mistknidentity
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Me on any regular day :-)
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this

It is vital to your daughters' self esteem to see you as a woman who loves herself. No matter how often you tell them they are beautiful, if they see you cringe in front of a mirror and groan when you get on a scale, they will learn the same behavior.

Teach them to accept compliments. It is not arogant to know you are beautiful or smart or athletically gifted, or even to acknowledge it, only to use it to put others down.

Momof2sillygrls
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Mobile Photo

This is me yesterday am 25 and my girls are 4 and 7. I know I'll never be perfectly skinny and honesty am okay with that. Clearly I got a little junk in the front and on the sides but I also know I eat healthy 100% organic and workout and for my body this is what healthy looks like. Everyone comes in different sizes and the older I get the less I care what others think. I feel as long as my boobs, ass, stomach isn't hanging out of my clothes then I'll wear what looks appropriate and what makes me happy. We can't spend our lives feeling self concious and sweating like a pig in the summer because we're wearing pants to cover up our legs and hoodies to cover up our "fat". Honestly us women are our own worse critics.
tigerlily86
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Hun, you seen to look fine to me. Why wouldn't you wear shorts though?? Your legs don't look bad, unless the capris are hiding something scary...I can't tell. Lol
mistknidentity
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Your absolutely spot on! I don't want them struggling with the same issues I've had my ENTIRE life. I want them to feel beautiful and be kind to themselves.

Quoting B1Bomber:

It is vital to your daughters' self esteem to see you as a woman who loves herself. No matter how often you tell them they are beautiful, if they see you cringe in front of a mirror and groan when you get on a scale, they will learn the same behavior.

Teach them to accept compliments. It is not arogant to know you are beautiful or smart or athletically gifted, or even to acknowledge it, only to use it to put others down.

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM
You have a great figure but I understand how you feel. The summer time brings so much stress and expectations to have that "perfect" body.

Quoting mistknidentity:

Me on any regular day :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mistknidentity
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Thanks. Lol. They are probably fine! I just really have issues. Ill take a pic in shorts in a min. Gotta get my lo breakfast. :-)

Quoting tigerlily86:

Hun, you seen to look fine to me. Why wouldn't you wear shorts though?? Your legs don't look bad, unless the capris are hiding something scary...I can't tell. Lol

lapcounter
by Race Mom on May. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell my girl's be happy with who you are and you will be happier in life then most.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)