Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I super paranoid? What would you think?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

So my friend is engaged to this girl.  My goes to Peru with his best friend 2 weeks.  His fiance didn't go.  My friend came back with Mono.  He says it was from sharing drinks with women down there and that's it. Am I the only one that thinks she is batshit crazy for staying with him???

Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I would never leave my fiance over that. 

However I think it's odd that he specified he was sharing drinks with "girls", but whatever.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM

There are a dozen ways you can get mono. I know a five year old who got mono and they certainly weren't doing anything wrong.

krissy920
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM

i caught mono from drinking off a public water fountain.  The only thing thats strange is why would he be sharing  drinks with girls? Were they random girls? I wouldnt fight over it . If he brought me herpes id be pissed though :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:15 AM
First of all, the incubation period for mono can be up to 4 weeks so you don't "come back with" something you just got on your trip. Second, mono IS transferred by sharing drinks and things like that. People stopped calling it the "kissing disease" years ago.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM

He was down there for two weeks, he's been back about 3, has had symptoms for 10 days. It adds up.  But he admitted to sharing drinks with women he didn't know.  That there shoots off a red flag.  It probably doesn't help that I used to date him and he cheated on me so I don't trust him to begin with.

Quoting Anonymous:

First of all, the incubation period for mono can be up to 4 weeks so you don't "come back with" something you just got on your trip. Second, mono IS transferred by sharing drinks and things like that. People stopped calling it the "kissing disease" years ago.

Pnukey
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Mono is transmitted more than one way. It can also be air-born. I got it on the plane when I went from Los Angeles to Heathrow, London, non stop w/o DH who was just a boyfriend at the time. I kissed nobody. It was a long-ass flight with no fresh air (obviously.) It sucked.

Val99
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:19 AM

You know that people who have had mono from EBV emit the virus through their saliva periodically throughout their lives, not just for the period they are sick.  Studies show that 95% of the population has been exposed to the virus by age 40, but many were asymptomatic. You can get it from sharing drinks, utensils, even lipstick with someone who has had it.

ConcernedCousin
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I got mono when I was 18. I didn't kiss or sleep with anyone. It's spread by contact like the flu so you should get your facts in order before you pump her head full of bullshit
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I don't even know the girl.  I never said I was going to say anything to her. 

Quoting ConcernedCousin:

I got mono when I was 18. I didn't kiss or sleep with anyone. It's spread by contact like the flu so you should get your facts in order before you pump her head full of bullshit

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
He's not really your friend if you're hoping that his fiancé breaks up with him. I think you are hoping it doesn't work out for her because it didn't work out for you. True friends want each other to be happy. You don't sound like a friend, you sound jealous.

Quoting Anonymous:

He was down there for two weeks, he's been back about 3, has had symptoms for 10 days. It adds up.  But he admitted to sharing drinks with women he didn't know.  That there shoots off a red flag.  It probably doesn't help that I used to date him and he cheated on me so I don't trust him to begin with.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)