Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horrible scene at dinner last night...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this
Last night we went out for dinner with DH's family (his mom, brother, & bro's family). They couldn't go until 7 which is really late for us to eat so I went ahead and fed my 3yr old earlier. SIL insisted on going to this new restaurant that just opened. By the time we sat down my kid was hungry again. By the time we sat down it was almost 8. We had barely sat down when their kid started acting up. He's only 5 months younger than my son but is about the size of a 5yr old. He was hungry and we all know what a hungry tired impatient 2yr old can be like. But instead of trying to settle him (like ordering his food with appetizers like I did). They just let him run around the restaurant screaming and crying. He was throwing dishes at other customers, knocking over chairs, and basically out of control. I had brought out iPad for my son knowing the late evening was going to be a challenge. So I invited my nephew over to watch. B watched for a minute and then before Anyone could stop him he threw the iPad (hitting another customer) and it hit the floor and shattered. So now my son is upset because of this. I was just completely embarrassed by the scene, and my in-laws seemed to think nothing of it. When we couldn't get our son to calm downy husband took him to the car and let him calm down there. I asked for our food to go and told my MIL I was sorry we were leaving but that going there this late was a bad idea from the start. My MIL text me soon after we left and said they had been kicked out of the restaurant. B had been crawling on the floor and tripped a waitstaff member and she dumped an entire tray of food on a table. So glad we left when we did but it will be along while before we go eat with them again.

DH is also calling his brother today and telling them they need to replace the iPad because its a therapy tool we use with our son (he's ASD) so we will see how that goes over.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UxorQuodMatris.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Wowza. They didn't say anything when he threw the iPad?

And here I felt bad about the screaming my son did at a restaurant last night. Some man tried to say hi to him and scared him, so he screamed.

Good luck getting your replacement.
STVUstudent
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM

wow... that really sounds like a misearable evening... sorry you had such a time... having three young children, I now know from experience to not even try something like that... if they wanted us to go to dinner at 7:00, I would either get a sitter or decline the invitation (or suggest a more family-friendly venue).  It really sounds like it was doomed to failure because they weren't prepared to deal with their hungry, tired 2 year old.

Good luck getting the ipad replaced... brother should have offered right away, but in that they weren't even concerned about managing his behavior, they will probably think it is your fault for letting him have it in teh first place...

AviannasMama
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
It seems like his behavior wasn't because he was hungry. My 18mo can be a complete brat but even if she was starving she wouldn't be acting like that. it seems like he has some behavioral issues. I personally wouldn't go out to eat if my kid acted like that especially with a big group of people. I would have definitely packed up and left! Judt remember to not go out with them again.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM
To me, it seems like he has no discipline and is allowed to do as he pleases.
Lol, whew I'd have an anxiety attack if I was out with someone like that. I would not have been able to control the momma in me that would have intervened and made the parents look like idiots.

Quoting AviannasMama:

It seems like his behavior wasn't because he was hungry. My 18mo can be a complete brat but even if she was starving she wouldn't be acting like that. it seems like he has some behavioral issues. I personally wouldn't go out to eat if my kid acted like that especially with a big group of people. I would have definitely packed up and left! Judt remember to not go out with them again.

Mrs.Brugger
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Holy crap. Out of control!!!

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:40 AM
If it was my sister or brother, they would have been reamed for letting their child act like that. Lol
ajdahd13
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Wow. I hope he replaces your iPad, but personally I wouldn't have let the terror use it.
abbysmommy429
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM

That would be stressful! Hope you get your replacement.

AphrexiaX
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
This. And my sister has been reamed by me. My nephew used to be a terror.

Quoting twinmommy27:

If it was my sister or brother, they would have been reamed for letting their child act like that. Lol

heidi749
by Canadian on May. 31, 2013 at 8:46 AM

WOW!!!! They are gonna be visiting that boy in jail when he is older.

Sorry you had to deal with such a crazy scene. I hope that they will replace the iPad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)