Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If the kids hated each other would you stay?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM
  • 36 Replies
Not my scenario but heard it on the radio.

Lets say you have custody of your 2 children and the man you're dating has custody of his 2. Your kids love him and his kids love you but the kids hate each other.

Would that be a deal breaker or would you marry him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I wuld never date a guy who had kids.

Icial
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I would imagine in time the kids would get along or at least peacefully coexist with some prodding from the parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Marry the guy, the kids eventually move on, and mature. 

jeweldragons
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd tell them to get the fuck over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I'd be telling them to get the fuck over it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Bahahaaha, that so funny, we had the same answer

Quoting jeweldragons:

I'd tell them to get the fuck over it.

charligirl33
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM

It would cause too many issues. It would definitely be a dealbreaker for me. You're trying to create a family, it just wouldn't work. 

dtm1491
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I am not married yet but my SO's oldest did not like my dd when we first met. He was 10. I kept my mouth shut until recently when he left my dd behind when they went to a carnival. Then I ripped. I am not going to be good to his kids and mine gets left behind like an ugly stepchild and I told him if my kid is ever treated like that again he is DUMPED. Well lo and behold, his son called my dd and invited her out to eat with them. Yes, thank you. Get over it.

LilliesValley
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM

It takes time to become a family. I have two step brothers (but I consider them my brothers) from my step mom and then my dad had custody of my brother and I. It took a good year or so of living together before we really "meshed" as a family. It's not going to happen overnight. Plus, wow, my step mom and dad had two COMPLETELY different parenting styles, so that was a struggle as well. I think if you go into it with your eyes wide open and know that it's going to take time and a whole lot of patience it's doable. You and your SO need to come up with specific rules and guidelines and sit down all together and go over them so there are equal expectations from everyone. There's lots of parenting books on this sort of thing. We've had ups and downs like any siblings, but we are siblings. When I found out baby 2 was a girl the other day, I got tons of calls and texts from all of them, they were so excited for us. So it will just take time. The kids have no reason at this point to get a long because you are not married. It's not permament to them, and really they know that you getting married isn't either but it's more solidified. If this is the right person and the kids like the prospective step parent then you have a lot of it already under control. The family stuff will come in time.

pochaccotx
by Lost on May. 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM

no clue df only has kids with me.. now my ex married a woman who has a dd that picks on my dd when she goes and visits and it makes me sad for my dd

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)