Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I being unreasonable???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
A few years ago I was in a wreck and the insurance paid for my totaled car. DH took me and we bought a small SUV with the insurance money. The car I totaled was mine, bought and paid for by me, before we were even married.

Well anyway fast forward to now. About a month ago DH put down $4000 and got me another vehicle. Now that we've sold the other one, he is planning to spend all the money on something else!

Am I being unreasonable to expect some of the money even though he just got me something newer?? I wanted at least a little of it but he doesn't want to give me any!! I hope this makes sense.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
That makes sense to me. That was your car.
christina0607
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Honestly I don't understand married couples that look at things as "his" and "mine" and other possessive terms like that. So I can't quite grasp the problem here. 

Osstie
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think its unreasonable. It was your money in the first place.. BUT... isnt that a decision you should be making together as a married couple? There is no my money/your money within my own marriage.. I thought that was a common practice.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
if the car that sold wasn't worth the $4 k he put down on your trade-in, then he's right. if you're going to separate your money, that's how it goes.
starlight91
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I do get the problem, he's saying the money is all his , its should be both of yours and you both should figure out whats best to do with the money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM

How much would your original car be worth now if you had never totaled it, the one you purchased prior to marriage? If it's less than the 4 grand he just put down on another vehicle I would say it's all a wash. 

Osstie
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM

What did you want to spend the money on?

AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM

how much did the  car sell for (over the 4000 he put down?) 

petie1104
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
This.

Quoting christina0607:

Honestly I don't understand married couples that look at things as "his" and "mine" and other possessive terms like that. So I can't quite grasp the problem here. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM

When it comes to vehicles I have mine dh has his.   I am responsible for my vehicle.   when we sell them to get new ones the money goes into our kids' college funds.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)