Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cute photo turned into a lecture

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My mil took this photo at my fil birthday cookout. I thought it was cute and put it up on FB my "friend" called me to lecture me that it was wrong and dangerous.
It's a corn con that my son (5 months) grabbed off my plate because he likes to hold and bite things he's teething. It's not like I gave it to him in a crib or he wasn't being watched and its not like he's going to get hurt. Right after the pic I took it away from him and gave him other toys and cleaned his hands and face.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepperbepper
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:14 AM

probably because he was worried he could choke on it...i was a nervous nelly too and wouldn't have given it to him either, but thats just me.

bbyblueAK
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I see nothing wrong with it. It's cute
CatFishMom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Theres nothing wrong with them chewing on a corn cob. Theyre good for teething as long as youve taken all the corn off it. (Dont get me wrong, I dont just hand my kids corn cobs when theyre teething, but it does feel good on their gums when they get hold of them) There was nothing dangerous about it unless you just left him unsupervised or if there were still pieces of corn stuck to it he could choke on. Even then, corn is soft and small so unless he got a big mouthful and had never had solid food before, I wouldnt have worried at all about it.

Tatiana7
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Good lord, people are lame! You are watching the baby and he's doing what babies do.  It's adorable.

AviannasMama
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I did baby led weaning with my dd and started at a lityle under 6mo. I hate the argument "well they don't have teeth yet" babies don't get their molars until at least a year, some older. You don't chew with your front teeth do you?
I'd tell them to fuck off. Your his mom and you may fuck up a long the way but they don't have to point everything out that they don't agree with. Try not to stress mama!
JulesFairy
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I had it happen to me too. I had my daughter 5 months at the time in a carseat. She grabbed a hat and put it on her head all by herself then laughed so i took a picture. It was funny and cute. I shared it with some friends online and everyone berated me for how loose her carseat straps were. Well the reason she is in a carseat in the middle of my living room was that i had just washed everything and was putting her in it to resize it. So yes the were loose, i hadnt finished tightening it yet, she didnt wait until i was done to be cute.
I think its a cute picture, and some people just worry.
Lizard_Lina
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Your friend sounds over eager to feel superior in the knowledge of child rearing. Are they on cafemom?
nelliesmommy
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Let that baby nibble on that corn cob. It won't kill him. Just keep an eye on him.
cntrdmom
by Sapphire Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I understand. I sent my stepdad a picture of our new shed and our cleaned out garage. There are several benefits to this being done like no nesting space for spiders, snakes, or bugs, and cars parked on the garage so seatbelt a are burning hot from being in the sun. Cars are protected and we don't lose tons of money on repairs with all these storms. All he could say was we need to get the kids a swing set or something to play on. Sorry. I was busy being practical. They can swing at the park for now.
nyxiemist
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Tell her to butt out. There's no corn on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)