Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena IUD causes weight gain!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
My sister blames a 20 pound weight gain on her Mirena IUD. Personally, no matter how much I love my little sister, I think she's using the iud as an excuse for poor eating habits. She was already heavy and admittedly does not eat very healthy.

I just had my third baby (our final baby) and want a more permenant form of birth control- and the Mirena sounds like a good option! But I had such a hard time losing weight after baby #2 and really don't want to do something that will keep me from losing weight this time! Help! Will it cause weight gain? Is Mirena as good as an option as I think? Or not?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on May. 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Drs say no. I asked my doc and she straight up said,'I never saw anyone lose any of it after mirena was removed.' Lol. Love my Ob. Have you researched the paraguard?
michiganmom5150
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:33 AM
A lot of bc causes weight gain, but it doesn't have to. Just watch what you eat. Not that hard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Lol! That's a great way to put it.

I think my second choice is the paraguard- my only concern about it is that its said to make periods heavier? 10 years sounds awesome though, lol.

Quoting So_Devious20:

Drs say no. I asked my doc and she straight up said,'I never saw anyone lose any of it after mirena was removed.' Lol. Love my Ob. Have you researched the paraguard?

RomansMommy2011
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
No the mirena iud does not cause weight gain. My sister who is 19 has is and hasnt gained weight. I had it and didnt gain weight. I loved having the iud.
kjsaes
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I have had one going on 6 years I did not gain any weight.
Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM
It can for some women. I gained 20 on it as well even though my diet and exercise didn't change. I was even breast feeding and losing weight from that before I got it put in.

That being said I had a lot of problems from Mirena... I had bad PMS lasting two weeks before my period, my period never left but it did get lighter BUT also got longer(sometimes lasting 14 days straight), I kept having this weird dull stabbing sensation all the time, it raised my blood pressure, and then at 18 months after getting it... It fell out! It was pretty uncomfortable when it came out too, but I was glad because I was about to get it removed anyways. Come to find out, women who breast feed are more likely to expel it! Didn't know that or the blood pressure thing until after it came out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I didn't gain weight, just had horrible acne and mood swings. Then it imbedded, and caused a miscarriage. I will NEVER put a foreign object in my body again. WORST. DECISION. EVER.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I've never heard of anyone gaining weight  with it.. & my DF's sister used the BC excuse as well.. She's always been overweight and after she had her first child she got on bc and ate ALL THE TIME and said it was BC

Anon000
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Mirena does not cause weight gain
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I'm sorry. I never will either.

I had Paragaurd for less than a year. It caused unbearable periods and what I thought was a constant infection. No infection, the thing just causes metallic discharge. Awesome.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't gain weight, just had horrible acne and mood swings. Then it imbedded, and caused a miscarriage. I will NEVER put a foreign object in my body again. WORST. DECISION. EVER.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)