Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am the unreasonable one...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

Long story short my Mom does not understand why I do not want to take a roadtrip with my 2 youngest up to Philadelphia which is 3 + hours from my house and stay with my brother and SIL who have 3 cats and only 2 bedrooms and they live in the heart of the city where there is no parking just to see my nephew.  I want to just go up by myself and that is it. 

My son for one has asthma and with the amount of cat hair and dust and pollution there it very well could set off his asthma and I just do not want to cause him any undue stress.   My mother seems to think that staying over one night will not bother his asthma.  She fails to realize that my son not to long ago just out of the blue while he was at his lacrosse camp he had a major asthma attack and stopped dead in his tracks out there and could not breathe.  He always has his rescue inhaler and his coaches are aware of it and know what to do for him if it happens.  She just does not understand at all. The doctor told me that if I know that there is something that could possibly trigger it then I should not expose him to it.

There is a lot more to the story but I just needed to vent due to the fact that I just got off the phone with her and trying to get a 68 year old woman to understand things sometimes is like talking to a brick wall!  lol!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

sometimes you need to just say NO and leave it at that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Exactly what I did.  Just needed to vent because I honestly wanted to scream at her and I figured it was better to write it down in a post than screaming.  lol.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

sometimes you need to just say NO and leave it at that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Just stand your ground. Don't let her bully you into it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

In the past I used to let her guilt me into doing a lot of things.  I used to get so stressed out due to her at times that it was impacting my home life.  Thanks to my husband screaming at me about it (yes I pissed him off enough to scream and this was one of the few times in our 20 year marriage) it made me realize that it was really causing me to get depressed.  I found focusing on my 4 children and only on them has helped trememdously.  Do not get me wrong...my Mom is a great person but she just has her ways about her that drive me batty.  She has backed off in a lot of ways since I have started standing up to her.  Sad that it took me this long and at 43 I am finally not letting her guilt me into things.  Thanks for reading...

Quoting Anonymous:

Just stand your ground. Don't let her bully you into it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)