Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

O.M.G! My beautiful baby does NOT need cosmetic surgery!!!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 87 Replies

Mobile Photo

My baby girl was born with a pink birthmark on her forehead. It wasn't that noticeable, but then it got darker, grew rapidly and became puffy. We were worried it could be pre- cancerous, or something, so we took her to a dermatologist. It's just a strawberry hemangionoma. Not dangerous at all. The Dr. Said it would probably fade before she's five. Ten at the very latest. It will be gone, or at least mostly gone, probably before she starts school.

D.h. KNOWS this. Also, he and I have run into MANY people who say, "Oh, my kid had that, but it went away." However, he, apparently, can not STAND it. He makes comments on it all the time and says things like, "We have GOT to get that THING removed!" I keep telling him it will go away, but a scar would be permanent!, but he keeps saying he wants it surgically removed. :( I worry that if he keeps talking like this when she gets old enough to understand, she'll feel ugly or be really self conscious. I think she's beautiful, and I know the birthmark will fade, not to mention, in a year it will be covered by bangs, anyway.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Ah sad, hope your DH will come around. She is a cutie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
She is a really beautiful little girl. If she were my daughter I would at least consider the surgery. Just for the simple fact that people are mean and will say things. Even if your dh doesn't some mean kids will or a trashy rude adult.
spooky415
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM
He should see the scar I have above my nose-I'll always have it. It took me YEARS to be okay with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I would tell him to keep his opinions to himself if he can't keep them positive about her appearance. Girls have enough pressure based on appearance and daddy can make or break that esteem before it has budded good.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
3 moms liked this

You reassure him that cosmetic surgery isn't necessary and that he needs to curb the way he comments on it when your daughter is present so she learns that it's nothing to be ashamed of and not some weird alien tumor that will affect her life in any way!

jkampbyll
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

my niece was born with the very same thing she is now two and it is completely gone, i would say you are right i would give it time. she is a gorgeous little girl btw : )

AviannasMama
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I would agree that if it doesn't at least start fading when she's 5 or so, then we would CONSIDER surgery. Why put her through surgery if it will most likely go away on its own?
princeessville
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
What a sweetie she's adorable
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
My daughter had one by her ear and it did in fact fade with time. It was gone by the time she was 5-6 years old. It was prob the size of my thumb.
bmthverana
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM

She is adorable

That is very very common

:3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)