Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Muslim Prayer Coming to a School Near You

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 782 Replies
4 moms liked this

Muslim Prayer Coming to a School Near You

05/30/13

A high school near Washington DC has taken a rare step of accommodating Muslim prayer during class hours. Parkdale High School now allows a handful of its students to be excused to pray. The decision has made some Christian staffers "unhappy".

­Prince George County High School Principal Cheryl J. Logan said the initiative is in response to the “needs of the growing Muslim community,” the Washington Post reported. To be able to leave class each day all you need is a parental permission and high grades, Logan said.

Currently, about 10 Muslim students have earned the right to pray, and are reportedly allowed eight minutes each day for a joint prayer on campus. Another high school student is working hard to raise his grades to join the group, all of whom belong to Muslim Students' Association, Logan said.

It is hoped that allowing prayer will motivate Muslim students to improve their overall school performance.

The move has already upset several of the school's Christian staffers, many of whom remember when the school was a Christian institution.

Thoughts?Personally, I think, if they are going to allow Muslims special privileges for prayer, then all religions should be allowed the same consideration.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM
23 moms liked this

I don't want ANY fucking prayers in school PERIOD.

What about the parents who want their children to grow up completely agnostic?

ETA: Keep church and school separate.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM
6 moms liked this

I have to agree with you. If they are going to allow one certain religion to pray during school, than ALL should get to do it as well. However, I am sure this will be the "pick and choose" religion game that so many places like to play.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous

BUMP!

Anonymous

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM
11 moms liked this

Why would kids praying in school affect a child whose parents want them raised agnostic? They aren't forcing the kids to pray, just allowing time for it...I think it is ridiculous they will allow it for one religion, but not all, though.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 1:17 PM

It seems it already is...

Quoting Anonymous:

I have to agree with you. If they are going to allow one certain religion to pray during school, than ALL should get to do it as well. However, I am sure this will be the "pick and choose" religion game that so many places like to play.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't understand why there need to be ANY prayers in public schools.

To me, it doesn't matter what religion it is...it doesn't bother me if it's Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc...I just don't want it in public schools. Worry about religion on your OWN time...it has no place in the middle of algebra or physics!

TrouserMouse
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM
10 moms liked this

I am Agnostic. I don't mind if other children pray. It doesn't affect my kids.  I do want my children to know and understand all religions. Knowing someone's belief system helps you understand them and their perspective.  When kids get out in the real world and start careers they need to be able to adapt to and understand those around them.

I often see people that are unable to adapt to those different than them and they really struggle in the workplace.  They are also very poor managers.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

brandydesiree
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with this. I don't have an issue with Muslims praying at school, as long as other religions are given the same privileges.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why would kids praying in school affect a child whose parents want them raised agnostic? They aren't forcing the kids to pray, just allowing time for it...I think it is ridiculous they will allow it for one religion, but not all, though.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN