Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok. So you're broke and don't qualify for PA. We get it. Stop whining and learn how to work around it !

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
4 moms liked this
This woman is driving me nuts. Whining about how they are so broke and don't qualify for PA. That it isn't fair and blah blah blah.

News flash darling you aren't the only person struggling.

Stop whining about it and do something. Learn a fee things!

We are broke. We don't qualify for PA. And we still have nutritious food for the kids, they have clothes, and all the bills are paid every month.

You learn to bargain shop.
Shop at cheap stores. Shop at more than one if necessary. If milk is cheap one place, meat is better at another place and bread is cheaper at another place, then go to multiple stores.

You swallow your pride and buy clothing at goodwill, or another thrift store. It will not kill you to wear used clothes. You purchase them. Take them home. Wash them. And then wear them. It's not that big of a deal.

If possible, you sell you're car. We ended up selling ours. Everything in town is walking distance. Now, some people may actually need a car because some towns are bigger and don't provide public transpiration, others may work in the next town over. But if you don't absolutely need your car, then it won't kill you to walk. Trust me, I've been walking to the store weekly and carrying groceries back. I walked across town up until the day I have birth and starting walking to town again when dd was a week old. Unless there is a health issue involved that truly prevents you from walking, then it won't kill you.

Food pantries. Feed my ship. Sure they don't provide the best food. But it's better than nothing. If one month things are really bad you accept help. You go to a food pantries. A soup kitchen. A lot if churches provide free meals on certain days a week. Your kids eating is more important than your pride.

You can't be picky. I understand some people have food allergies or things that prevent them from eating certain foods. I'm not talking about that. What I means is "oh I don't like beans" "oh I hate oatmeal" "oh I refuse to eat that it tastes gross". Well you know what? WAAH. Suck it up and either eat or starve. You are broke. You can't afford to be picky. If you don't want to eat it fine. But no one wants to hear you complain about how hungry you are because you refused to eat ramen noodles for dinner.

You can learn to garden. Coupon.

Use generic equivalents to things. It won't kill you not to use name brand things. Or, you make home made versions. Lots of soaps and cleaner alternatives can be made at home in large quantities for a pretty cheap price.

Get a job If you don't have one. Get a second one if needed. If you can't get a job or a second job for whatever reason, then so things from home like Baby sit. Or offer to do yard work. Cleaning houses.

Cut out unnecessary bills. If you don't need Internet for something like work or school, then don't get it.
Cable? Not necessary.

Limit the amount of electricity used. Don't turn on your AC or heat unless its necessary. If there's a good breeze out then just open the widowed.

In the winter, It sometimes can be cheaper to use electric heaters.
Instead of turning the heat on out an electric heater just in the rooms you use on a regular basis.

Last winter we put dds crib and DSs toddler her in our room and hung a blanket in the door that went all the way to the ground so that we could turn the heater in at night and that would be the only room being g heated. Our living room and kitchen are connected, in the morning is her up and turn the heater on in there so it's be warm when they got up.

Don't turn the lights on unless its really too dark to see in the house.

Their toys went to he living room. Their room, the laundry room and the back porch were blocked off. The bathroom state closed and the heater in there only came on before someone would take a bath.

It is very possible to survive on very little money. You just have to swallow your pride and Learn to do things a different way.

I garden. I grow all our fruits an vegetables. I bargain shop. I coupon. I use him are cleaners as soaps. I'm not afraid to buy used clothing. I walk every where.

There is no reason to just sit and bitch, moan and whine about it. That is time being wasted that you could be using to figure out a new way to do things.

We've had times where I had $15 dollars to spend at the grocery for food to last a week.

You can make it work.

I'm so sick of hearing people complain. And people thinking they are too good to have to so these things and should just be given PA. If you don't qualify, then you don't qualify! Sure, you're upset, but for crying out loud, Shut up and make due!

Everything went to crap about a month before I found out I was pregnant with dd. I was already 13 weeks when I found out.

We made due. The bills were paid.

We had food. And we got the necessary baby things. Was it easy?

No.
But it is definitely possible.

You have to be willing to try.

You have to do things a different way.

You have to adjust and realize you can't afford to do things the way your use to or the way you want to.

Whining isn't going to solve anything!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhoenixV
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Agreed. A lot of those things are possible for a lot of people. I have had to do a lot of those myself at some points.

Its best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. - Anne Baxter

Luna091306
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Whining solves nothing, I agree.

lifeisajoy
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Agreed-

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

TLDR !

lindilouwho82
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
You should write a book.

Yes, sarcasm.
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I agree

harleigh07
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM

clapping

well said mama! I have done many of those things! I used to walk to work too! and my sons nutrition is more important than mine at times. I have lived off of soup for days when money was tight so that my son could have a well balanced meal. 

StarLight23
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Agreed. One of my relatives would be like that if it weren't for living with her mom and dad and having three kids in the house. She has told me more than once that she would not be able to LIVE without cable! I was like oh puleaze! We've been without cable for two years now and we don't regret it. We can watch what we want and when we want thanks to an extensive DVD library we've sometimes gotten for free due to points and such. Sure it would be nice to watch a movie we don't have..but does it matter in a year? No it doesn't!
spooky415
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I hear ya. We've cut way back so that we didn't have to use up our savings when DH was laid off. We've never lived in excessive leisure-even when money was great for us-we just weren't used to it. We would go out a lot to eat and I had a college student that came here to do some household chores-but that was it. We didn't really up our bills, we didn't take a lot of trips-so it was easy to cut back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Agreed this works for people on PA as well. Food stamps and Medicaid are what we receive. There is no room in our budget. We pay the rent (utilities included), accepted the cheapest apartment available to us for the area. We coupon. Buy generic. Save power even though utilities are included. (Never know if we will have to move and pay electric again. It is best to get into good habits now.) I've learned to make homemade Chinese food. Beef and broccoli over white rice, shrimp fried rice, etc. My grandma needs her diapers and whatnot. I use the Internet for entertainment and for work. It pays itself off plus allows me to earn money. I order free samples. I am a member of several sites where I can try out free full sized products. You make due where you can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)