Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you plan on paying for your child's college education?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 139 Replies
Another post got me thinking about this. To me, the thought of having children with no intention of paying for their college education seems so outrageous. I was shocked by how many people said that it isn't their responsibility to pay for college.

My daughter isn't even born yet and I have already put money into her college fund. As a parent I think it's my job to set her up for success and I think college is a major part of that. I don't want her to have the financial burden of student loans to start off her adult years with.

How do you feel about college? Is it your plan to put your kids through college, or are they on their own?
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ssocalgirl6
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:30 PM
We will pay for college completely as well as their living, car and other expenses. Their job will be to go to school.
MamaRae85
by *you're on May. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I'd like to help, but to be honest, I have no intention of paying for the entire thing unless we've got more money than we know what to do with.

mrskandi
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

will be starting her fund this week ,she is only 2 going on 3 so I have to make up a little .I plan to pay for it all and even housing and bills and play money , so she does not have to work .I want her to have good grades and only think of school .

kels1023
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I always thought this was the norm. I couldn't believe how many people said that their kids will have to start their life off with debt because they aren't going to pay for school.

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

We will pay for college completely as well as their living, car and other expenses. Their job will be to go to school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Not unless I come into a substantial amount of money between now and then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My children's college and living expenses are already fully paid for. I couldn't imagine having kids and not helping them set up their future. 

HandMmom12
by Jody on May. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Both kids have college funds. Whatever they don't cover, DH and I will be.
kels1023
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Totally not trying to be rude, this is an honest question. But how come you didn't start saving when your children were babies?

Quoting Anonymous:

Not unless I come into a substantial amount of money between now and then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Yes. I have 2 kids and they each have college funds. Money is deposited into them every paycheck. I don't want my kids to have the insane amount of college debt my husband and I had. If they want to go on to say, law school or med school, then my husband and I will help with half and they will pay half themselves.

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I think it depends on their socioeconomic level. Where we live it is the norm as well.

Quoting kels1023:

I always thought this was the norm. I couldn't believe how many people said that their kids will have to start their life off with debt because they aren't going to pay for school.

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)