Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This video made fire shoot from my vagina.......ETA study

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 27 Replies

Does ANYONE agree with these morons?? 

What angered me most is the notion that I am doing harm to my children by being  strong, successful, and the primary "bread winner" in our family.

This is the study they are talking about;

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/29/breadwinner-moms/

Breadwinner Moms

Mothers Are the Sole or Primary Provider in Four-in-Ten Households with Children; Public Conflicted about the Growing Trend

CHAPTER 1: OVERVIEW

SDT-2013-05-breadwinner-moms-1-1A record 40% of all households with children under the age of 18 include mothers who are either the sole or primary source of income for the family, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of data from the U.S. Census Bureau. The share was just 11% in 1960.

These “breadwinner moms” are made up of two very different groups: 5.1 million (37%) are married mothers who have a higher income than their husbands, and 8.6 million (63%) are single mothers.1

The income gap between the two groups is quite large. The median total family income of married mothers who earn more than their husbands was nearly $80,000 in 2011, well above the national median of $57,100 for all families with children, and nearly four times the $23,000 median for families led by a single mother.2

The groups differ in other ways as well. Compared with all mothers with children under age 18, married mothers who out-earn their husbands are slightly older, disproportionally white and college educated. Single mothers, by contrast, are younger, more likely to be black or Hispanic, and less likely to have a college degree.

SDT-2013-05-breadwinner-moms-1-2The growth of both groups of mothers is tied to women’s increasing presence in the workplace. Women make up almost of half (47%) of the U.S. labor force today, and the employment rate of married mothers with children has increased from 37% in 1968 to 65% in 2011.3

The impact the recession may have had on this trend is unclear.4 However, a Pew Research Center survey conducted in November 2012 found that mothers’ views about whether and how much they would like to work had changed significantly since 2007 (before the recession officially began). The share of mothers saying their ideal situation would be to work full time increased from 20% in 2007 to 32% in 2012. And the share saying they would prefer not to work at all fell from 29% to 20%.

For the rest of the study, click link at top.

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
phoebe81
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM

What study are they talking about? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Fox wasn't the only network to cover this story. They did a short blip on CBS This Morning, but didn't really elaborate too much.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The whole outrage over it, and how "unnatural" it is is what REALLY pissed me off. 

I do believe it is news worthy and should be covered, it is their opinion on it that angered me so much.

Quoting Anonymous:

Fox wasn't the only network to cover this story. They did a short blip on CBS This Morning, but didn't really elaborate too much.

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

This study;

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/29/breadwinner-moms/

Quoting phoebe81:

What study are they talking about? 

-Albert Einstein

PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to youtube to give ole windbag Lou a piece of my mind, but comments were disabled.  What an asshat.  So f*cking what.  The study doesn't point out that women are gaining parity in the job market, nor does the study point out WHY women are the breadwinner in 4 out of 10 households.  Let me break down all the reasons.

1.  Single woman raising kids all by herself.

2.  The husband has been laid off and has been unable to get a job.  The wife's income becomes the only income.

3.  The husband has retired and the wife is still working.

4.  The husband has gone back to school full time.

5.  The couple, themselves, made the decision for the dad to stay home with the kids.

My mom was a single mom who raised us 4 kids after divorce.  I grew up quite independent.  My daughter on the other hand has had me home for the last 15 years.  She's always has been a reticent and careful child.  But that is her personality.  One could argue that me being a sahm has prevented her from being outgoing and independent. But that would be just as stupid as what those blowhards are saying.

phoebe81
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

You understand that they are saying that the fact that 25% of families are single mom families where the woman is raising her children alone and forced to be the sole breadwinner is the cause of the disintegration of society, right? NOT the 15% of families that have two parents, but the woman is the breadwinner?

I had absolutely no idea that 1/4 of families are single moms. That's scary. 

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

The part that really bothered me was that it is unnatural for the female to be the breadwinner. First off, its not true, secondly, it is offensive. 

I didn't get from it that they were referring only to single moms, but ven if it's true, it doesn't make their remarks any less offensive.

Quoting phoebe81:

You understand that they are saying that the fact that 25% of families are single mom families where the woman is raising her children alone and forced to be the sole breadwinner is the cause of the disintegration of society, right? NOT the 15% of families that have two parents, but the woman is the breadwinner?

-Albert Einstein

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

LMAO!!!  Of course MEN have a problem with women being the primary breadwinners.  If women are working more and earning more, it's the end of society as we know it and it's a huge issue that needs to be addressed.  If men are working more and earning more, it's "natural".  More women are graduating from college than men, of course more women are earning more.

I fail to see how my working to put a roof over my son's head is harming him in any way.  I suggest they take it up with my ex, who hasn't paid CS in 2 years.

PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on May. 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Yeah, but single moms are not causing the desintigration of society.  Economic turmoil and policies that favor big corporations over families is doing that.

Quoting phoebe81:

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)