Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Babyproofing Ideas!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 26 Replies

I am needing ideas on babyproofing. Dd2 is 10 months old now and I need some way to keep her out of the kitchen. The picture shows from me standing in the kitchen looking into the living room(our kitchen and living room are one room, carpet in half and tile in the other). We have a laundry nook in the kitchen (our washer & dryer are too big to have the doors on it, I've considered getting a curtain to put there). There is no spot to put a baby gate. I'm drawing a blank.

The playhouse is keeping her in the middle of the living room but she has started pushing it out of the way.

Picture is in first reply, didn't upload the first time for some reason.

**Adding: I have worked in childcare for years, I know how to redirect and how to teach a child what they are and aren't allowed to touch.  I will likely be having surgery soon so I need the house babyproofed before that happens, the others who will be helping me out while I recover aren't as vigilant as me (my husband being one of them so it would be good to do anyway, he gets distracted easily by the tv or his xbox games).

by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Mobile Photo

model1000mom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:22 PM

no picture but we had to invest in magnetic cabinet locks, and we use a oven lock for both the oven and the dishwasher. I wouldnt use a curtain because babies tend to pull them down or get wrapped up in them.

ETA theres the pic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

No need to baby proof make your home baby centered or take the time to teach your kid not to touch things they shouldn't. I never once baby proofed my home and I can take my son to anyone's house and he knows what to touch and not to touch.

soulofsunmama
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I cleaned out one cabinet, put only his stuff, pots, pans, bowls, wooden spoons, toys, anything fun in it, then put cabinet locks on everything else. As long as he had something of his own to get into, alls good. Did the same thing in bathroom, and bottom drawer of dresser in bedroom. Everywhere I was in the house, he had a place, cubby, drawer that was his.
It's all about redirecting.

Just please make sure all furniture is anchored...even the weirdest things you think wouldn't hurt them if it fell, can cause a lot of injury.

I always put mine on my back in an Ergo when I had to cook, and now that he's older (starting around 12 months ish) you can get a kitchen helper. It bumps up to counter, and they can stand in it, and play, snack, whatever. Changed our lives,lol

Also having friends with older toddlers come over, will show you exactly what needs baby proofing,lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Have you thought about this: (extensions can be added on it)

Regalo Easy Open Extra Wide Metal Walk Through Safety Gate

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Amazon and babies R is both sell
A gate like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Sure-Secure-Custom/dp/B0009RG8R8/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&qid=1370028179&sr=8-61&keywords=Baby+gate

The version we had came with "legs" so it didn't need to be attached to a wall. Worked great... But a word of warning... By 12-13 months my DS was strong enough to push it open.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Can you post a picture of the space?  I used these baby gates:

You can get larger (longer) ones in speciality catalogs.  Do you have an island in the kitchen?  Can you put something up at either end to keep her away from there when you're cooking?  If you're handy, you can build a frame that you can easily move out of the way (put it on legs that are horizontal to the ground like this screen to keep it stable and so she won't tip it over).  Of course, it won't have to be this tall and the screen should be low enough that she can't crawl under.

soulofsunmama
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Kitchen helper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)