Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooled kids being Valedictorian at a high school??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

This really has nothing to do with whether homeschooling is right or wrong, so I really don't want it to turn into that.

My cousin is graduating Saturday from high school and she would be the Valedictorian in her high school. She was very excited about this honor and so were her parents.

Well 2 girls that are homeschooled will be joining her high school class for graduation. Well both girls have a higher GPA then my cousin and she is now 3rd in the class and these girls (sisters) are now the Valedictorian and the Salutatorian. I am sure both girls are hard workers (obviously) but is it fair that they come to a high school they didn't go to and the 2 top students that went to that school are now just 3rd and 4th?

I wasn't homeschooled nor was I anywhere close to be in the top of class so I really don't know what would be the right thing to happen?

EDIT: One flawed part of this is the fact hat students take simple classes that don’t require much effort and get the same credit as a rigorous Algebra or Advanced Placement level class. Courses such as P.E. and Introduction to Public Speaking are common examples of classes these students take when dual enrolling. For the most, part these classes offered don’t require the higher level learning that one would expect of college courses; they're simply just "fun courses" and don't involve any type of rigorous Math and Science.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on May. 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I don't know enough about homeschooling to weigh in on this. If the grading systems are equivalent it is fair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I've never heard of homeschoolers doing this and we homeschool. What state is this in? Did they take any classes at the high school (like band or choir)? I would never have my kids graduate with a class they weren't a part of.If they told your cousin that she was valedictorian, they need to keep it that way!

LandonSky
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like the parents found a way to work the system.  Their kids got the benefits of a traditional public school education (getting to put "Valedictorian" on their kids' school resume) without having to go through the dirty parts of actually attending a public school.

Maybe things have changed since I was in school, but the valedictorian gave a speech at graduation.  So these kids get a perfect stranger to go up there and represent them?  Not ideal for those kids, but it sounds like it worked out great for the homeschooled kids.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM
This!

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never heard of homeschoolers doing this and we homeschool. What state is this in? Did they take any classes at the high school (like band or choir)? I would never have my kids graduate with a class they weren't a part of.If they told your cousin that she was valedictorian, they need to keep it that way!

-_-
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM
If they're homeschooled, but that hs has been their go to school for tests or whatever then it's fair, but strange that they weren't put in the rankings from the beginning.

It would be weird having someone that is a stranger to the graduating class speak all the "we" and "our future" stuff though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I've never heard of that happening before. Are you sure the kids were home schooled and not public schooled at home? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM

They might be part of the school via electives. In any case, I think they should all be honored.

CatFishMom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM

That doesnt make sense unless they transferred in and are no longer considered homeschooled, regardless of where they received the majority of their education. If thats what happened, then it's kind of tough luck because it would be exactly the same if someone had transferred in late from another school with a higher GPA. If theyre still listed as homeschoolers, I dont see how this worked. I know my kids will have the option of attending various functions at the local schools, but I dont know if graduation is one of them. (My son is still little, I havent looked into it yet, and frankly he wouldnt be attending the public school graduation anyway, we'll go with a homeschool organization that does graduations)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Yeah.... I don't know anything about homeschooling but this doesn't seem fair.
Liz132
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I don't know how they did the grading for the homeschooled kids so I can't really say if it's fair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)