Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You're too poor to hang out with...-Edit-

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 51 Replies

Are you only friends with people that are in your financial bracket? Or do you see no reason why people of differing income basis can't hang out?

I am on the lower class side. One of my sons friends parents at his school told me we should hang out this summer and become friends. She has this giant house, four kids, is a SAHM and an in home nanny. I feel so weird even entertaining being friends with her. We live in such completely different worlds or so it feels.

I also had my bf from HS get engaged to this dude who owns a bar (He's abusive and manipulative and has basically locked her up in the house. I think he's a drug deal too though). She started taking trips around the world and flying out to NY for theater events etc. It totally drove a wedge between us. She just isn't my best-friend anymore. She's complete superficial and allowing him to be a douche bag to her to she can have some lifestyel. I hate it. 

So I'm just as worried that this may blow up in my face. 

by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on May. 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

BUMP!

PrissyAnne
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Most of my friends are in my income bracket for a few reasons. One, our husbands are in the same line of work and therefore have similar salaries. Two, we can afford the same activities.

It's harder to be friends with some one who can't ever afford to do anything. But, I don't require proof of income before forming a friendship with some one.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Most people we hang out with are above us financially.
I don't see an issue with it, but some things come up where it's something they can afford and I just have to skip!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poohbearkfc
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
When my husband and I got married we came from two different financial brackets and so we have friends from all different ones. No judgement here.
Grumpylilpixy
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Incomes change. That would be stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Honestly I always feel inferior around super rich people so I avoid them. 

PikachuLuver
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM
6 moms liked this
Well since I dont like anyone I cant answer this question...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

nope I have very poor friends, very wealthy friends and in between. We all hang out together because we see beyond financial status. We see personalities, and likes that we all share.

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I'll hang out with just about anybody. However, my "rich" friends cannot seem to wrap their minds around the fact that we are poor and can't afford to pay for fun all the time. They also don't understand why my kids get a very small number of gifts on birthdays and holidays...

It's annoying and I tend to avoid them because of their snobbish behavior.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM
I know people who won't be friends with us because we are poor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)